Minor problem during stand construction

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

kcharm

This is really a minor problem and I'm just looking for the easiest solution.

I'm building a stand to house a 29g sump under a 29g main. This means that the I have 2x4 legs that run up the front and back of the stand and the sump fits between them on a 2x4 frame that is a little bigger then the tank. The display tank also sits on a 2x4 frame that sits on top of the legs. Problem is, I want the display tank to sit on the front of the stand. If the display tank is on the front of the stand, the back of the display tank is about 1/4 inch away from the front of the back 2x4 and is thus unsupported. Clearly I need to support the back of the tank. What is the easiest way to remedy the problem without simply pushing the tank back a little bit (I don't want a shelf infront of the display tank)?

Why can't you just cut a smaller 2 X 4 and screw & glue it flush to the inside of the top back frame? This will increase the width of the back top frame and give the tank the support needed.

Use a solid top for the tank support. Also run a frame work perpindicular to the tank under the top. With the use of a solid top, the 1/4 inch may be insignificant.

Dale

Beakerbob said:
Why can't you just cut a smaller 2 X 4 and screw & glue it flush to the inside of the top back frame? This will increase the width of the back top frame and give the tank the support needed.

For that matter, a 1x2 would do the trick. If it's screwed and glues it should hold up just fine. At the same time, a piece of plywood would give a nicer look. I will be resting a Mag5 for the CL on the little shelf behind.

Ugh, I really didn't feel like cutting a piece of plywood. Back to my buddy's with that has the table saw!

Back