Miracle mud or live sand?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Hi Angelfish,

Thats what I'm currently working on. Hope it works out.

Btw Jobiwan, thanks again for the offer!!

Hi Angelfish,

Thats what I'm currently working on. Hope it works out.

Btw Jobiwan, thanks again for the offer!!

Hi Seismic,

Hope you'll find the source

I kept chaeto b4, but all white out and dead

BTW, which part of MY are you staying?

Last edited:
Im in Selangor Angelfish. You know of any LFS there that ships to Malaysia ?

Have not notice any LFS selling chaetomorpha sp. here in town

Maybe you have to get it from one of the local reefer

How watt lighting is recommended for a refuigum with chaeto?

I've got a hand full in my sump with 10 hrs of 2 x 20W fluorescent light. They grow pretty fast to a football size in few months time and suddenly crashed.

Now I dump the remaining into a plastic container in my FOWLR with a Philips 8W energy saving light on 24 hrs. I let water flow thru' the container from a hang-on back skimmer. Never having much grow slow since then, but still looks green.

I use way more light in my chaeto fuges, in a 30 gallon fuge I use 3 x 32w PC's, total of 96 watts, the whole idea for me is rapid growth for max nutrient export, for rapid growth you need a bit of light, mine doubles in about three weeks, if you are looking more for a place to grow pods then lower light levels and slower growth is fine.....

I use way more light in my chaeto fuges, in a 30 gallon fuge I use 3 x 32w PC's, total of 96 watts, the whole idea for me is rapid growth for max nutrient export, for rapid growth you need a bit of light, mine doubles in about three weeks, if you are looking more for a place to grow pods then lower light levels and slower growth is fine.....

I agreed with you Jobiwan,

More intense lighting definitely boost the grow rate :idea:

The idea at that time is to lower down the nutrient in my tank, at the same time growing a lot of pods to feed my corals. It worked according to plan, but they turned white within days after few months :cry:

They lost their chlorophyl thats why they turned white...but what triggered this ?

Last edited:
I went bare bottom recently and found this to be the easiest way to keep clean. The chaeto grows great and i have my mangrove in mineral mud. the mineral mud is in a grow out fish box. Hope this helps some.

I see you got a pouch of phospate remover ? for your over flow from the main tank. Is that pump next to your chaeto the return to main tank ? Very neat sump!

No thats a micron bag. i change them out every two days. I run phos reactors though. The pump you see is just for my UV sterilizer. The main return is drilled behind the skimmer area. thanks for kind kind words though!

They lost their chlorophyl thats why they turned white...but what triggered this ?

I'm still scratching my head about what will cause them to turned white suddenly while everything seems fine in the sump. there's some long hair algae constantly growing at the water outlet, that i have to remove them by hand once a while.

:confused:

I went bare bottom recently and found this to be the easiest way to keep clean. The chaeto grows great and i have my mangrove in mineral mud. the mineral mud is in a grow out fish box. Hope this helps some.

Nice sump Frankie,

very clean and neat.

:rolleyes:

From what I understand, chaeto needs to be kept tumbling, if not enough water flow, they can turn white..

The white has to do with poor lighting. The better the lighting the darker it get. I have t'5 freshwater grow lights over mine. The underside will die off if not turned over once and a while. I just found that out the hard way. It grew really large and the bottom grew hair algae on it and my nitrates went up to 20. This is day 2 after harvesting it and the nitraes are down to 5 already.

How many watts of lighting are you using FFrankie ? Im thinking of T5's myself....

Sorry that I not readied every response to this issue on the miracle mud product, but what little I did read is that im to be far better off with a DSB and im guessing a bare sump running micro algae, or is it that I would have a aragonite sand bed as well in the sump? The Miracle mud is expensive and many do make it sound as just that, a miracle mud product. I would put into my tanks any cost that I can for the best results possible. I did from a few before hear that I not need to buy this miracle mud, im not to waste my money on such stuff.

I was or is planning to have in the 150 gal reef tank a DSB of 4-4.5" and with that I was planning a miracle mud bed in the sump of not less then 3". Would it be ideal to do this?

Buddy

Back