Mirage's 12 Gallon Long

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

The glass like finish sounds like what i want but the 20+ hours of sanding sounds not so fun lol.

:lol: Yeah, My arms were sore for days after finishing the inside of my stand for the 65. But Let me tell ya... that thing is shiny and water beads right off no problem. And the stained finished part is just as baby butt smooth, even though it is more of a satin finish.

I can send you a pm about the wetsanding to a smooth as glass finish.

Cheers,
Alex

That would be great actually, thanks! I really do want a smooth glass like finish to give the stand a more modern look to it.

Any recommendations on brushes or sponges, and types of black latex paint and primer to use?

I gotta clean up the garage so I can stop using the apartment for building, it sucks!

Shawn

Shawn,

For the black I usually use and recommend Benjamin Moore Impervo oil based and either use an HVLP set up or use a very nice China brisel brush. I thin the paint down with a product by Penetrol called Flotrol. If I remember correct that is the one for oil based paints. You can buy it at any big box store or paint store. I've been able to almost duplicate a piano gloss finish with this paint and a lot of time with wetsanding.

Definatley stay away from latex paints if you're after any gloss finish with furniture.

Cheers,
Alex

p.s. I'll send off a pm about wetsanding later.

Back