Mirage's 2.5 gallon, yeah I've been bored!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

MGDMIRAGE

Shoulda been a fish!
I always liked these little AGA tanks but one thing that drove me nuts was the silicone job, so I retouched all of the corners. Secondly I can't stand using HOB filters so I decided to just go ahead and drill this tank with 3/4" bulkheads. Not much comes close to the fun of drilling 1/8" glass! Here are some pics of what I have done so far.

IMG_72801280x845.jpg

IMG_72861280x877.jpg

I was shopping around in Lowes the other day and stumbled on this awesome little cabinet. It was clearanced for $9.50 down from the regular price of $91! So for under $10 I figure I can't go wrong by purchasing it. The cabinet has two shelves also but I only have one in place at the moment. I plan on placing the sump on a shelf somewhere in the middle to limit headloss from using a small pump. I will also be putting a board or a 12" x 12" tile on top of the stand, and perhaps the bottom for stability. Here are some pics of my find.

IMG_7281950x1280.jpg

IMG_7284654x1280.jpg

IMG_7283742x1280.jpg

This tank should be up and running very soon. I will be working on this and my 12 gallon long at roughly the same time.

Thanks!

Planning Zoas, Mushrooms, and a couple Birdsnests. The lighting will be LED. 1 Tiny 1" goby Trimma or Eviota most likely, and some small inverts. The sump will either be another 2.5 gallon or I may use a 10 gallon I already have baffled from my 40 gallon Hex setup. For the 10 gallon I'd have to make a little box next to the tank since it would definitely not fit in this stand.

Cool. You could build a small acrylic sump to fit the stand. Make it a little taller for more water vol. Are you going to add an ATO?

Yep, going to run sump in middle of stand, and ATO at the bottom so no gravity issues with topping off hehe. Yeah I have spare acrylic, wish someplace in town carried Weldon 4 :(

I think you can get it shipped form Tapps Plastics. I know they carry it. Weldon #3 will also work. Worst case #16 will also work.

The # 3 sets quicker than the #4 I have used it on a bunch of 1/4 thick projects.. Just do a couple of practice runs before you do the sump. It is really no different than using the # 4 unless you are working with really thick stuff.

Yes I have used it several times for small projets
Your local plastic store may sell there scrap by the lbs. It could be considerably cheaper that way.

This is where I am at currently. I'm working on the overflow strainer and trying to decide on a sump.

IMG_72921280x835.jpg

IMG_72911280x808.jpg

IMG_72901280x833.jpg

Not sure I've mentioned the lighting but it will be two par38 12watt bulbs.

What are you using for substrate? Have you considered a bare bottom? More water volume. Less detritus trapped under rocks and in the substrate.
Just a thought.

Using some super small crushed coral since I'm really sick of sugar sized sand and how it blows all over the place. I could never go bare bottomed I can't stand the look hehe. I had thought about using starboard but I think this will work out great.

Dont get me wrong, I love the look of a nice white CLEAN sandbed. I just cant sleep at nite knowing there is junk in there polluting my water. lol

Rock work looks good. Nice sizes and sweet arch.

Sorry to hear you cracked the tank. Areyou going to replace it? That was a nice set up!
Was it dry when it cracked?

It was drained below the bulkhead, but I torqued it too hard and put too much pressure on the bulkhead and heard a little crack :( If i replace it I may get a 5.5 gallon, the 2.5 just had zero room in it :(

Back