Mirage's 40 Gallon Stretch Hex

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Any updates on how the overflow is doing? i am thinking about doing this in my 100g so i can cover more surface skimming.

Zero problems with the overflow i think the teeth may be less maintenance. Its actually quieter the closer i push it toward it's max. If i restrict my flow down to 200gph or less it gets fairly loud although i don't have any durso setup.

as long as it can handle 600 gph i'm happy. i'll be running an eheim 1060 with about 6ft head so im guessing in the neighborhood of 400-500 gph. are you using 1" pvc?

as long as it can handle 600 gph i'm happy. i'll be running an eheim 1060 with about 6ft head so im guessing in the neighborhood of 400-500 gph. are you using 1" pvc?

Sorry i missed this!

Yeah i'm using 1" pvc and my return pump is 600gph so probably 400 something with headloss and overflow handles it fine. It actually gets way quieter when i have it running full blast.

I think with the durso setup i would have no complaints.

WOW! I'm the one who sold you that tank...you did an AMAZING job and I am so very happy it worked out so well :D More pics!!!!

i ended up stopping my 100g build and swooping up a cheap 75 g with a built in overflow. =) i still have faith in this style overflow for those who want to try it!

Hey Fayzane :) yes thanks for the amazing deal on the tank/stand.

I just picked up a 90 gallon that i plan on making this same style overflow but with a durso setup behind the tank i think that will make it much more quiet.

This tank will go down once the 90 is ready, i plan to re-work the 40 a bit and it will probably be back up in the future.

I suppose I didn't think to mention this when you were over the other day - the reason why my full siphon line is quiet is because I've got a ball valve on the downline.... I have it cranked down about halfway so the downline is full at all times, hence no gurgling.

The minute I let it suck air its way worse than a flushing toilet!! haha - The durso line also has a ball valve on it and I think I have it cranked down to about 25%, that way it doesn't suck more than the full siphon, and keeps the full siphon fully primed all the time.

Where did you read about this style of overflow? It sounds complicated lol. It was definitely silent though!

I have ball valves on both of my drains on the 40 but i've never restricted them i wonder if that would muffle it down a bit if they stayed full.

Where did you read about this style of overflow? It sounds complicated lol. It was definitely silent though!

I have ball valves on both of my drains on the 40 but i've never restricted them i wonder if that would muffle it down a bit if they stayed full.

Ummm I think the thread is still on RC, but the guy also put it on his website since he's been banned from there - but my inspiration came from the BeanAnimal Silent Overflow technique..... haha - should be Google-able. It's like a Herbie on steriods.

Back