Missing fish.

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

eartaker

So the other day I had 8 green chromis and 3 firefish... the next day I had 6 green chromis. I thought my green brittle was eating them so I sent him to a better home. THEN the next day I was down to 1 firefish and 4 green chromis. I'm now down to 2 green chromis and have NO CLUE where they went.

Other livestock is 1 flamehawk, 1 damsel, 2 clowns, 1 royal grama,

Inverts: hermit crabs, conch, RBTA, clams,

Has anyone ever had an issue with hemits eating there fish? my largest hermit has taken over a med size turbo snail shell.

Oh and they are not in the sump or the filter sock. I have also checked around the tank for jumpers =/

Nems are opportunistic feeders. Having said that where all have you looked? Is the tank covered? Any other pets? Hermits can make very short work of a sick/dying fish.

I have an open top but with a canopy. No other pets can get in. I have not moved any rocks around but yes I have seen how fast the crabs can tare apart a fish. I thought maybe they got through the slits in the overflow but they are not in the box or the sump. I have it so I can see behind my rocks so I have no idea where they went.

It was most likely the nem. I got a carpet anemone that ate my powder brown tang and a mandarin goby in a week. I learned that fish dont just dessapear ohhh and that I hate anemones cause of this. Also looking to sell my carpet anemone color green and 12'' in diameter.

Check around your floor REALLY well and ANY return lines. I had my chromis enjoying the water slide several times, I lost at lease I thought I lost 3 but they were living in the sump after the ride.

I know the feeling and thinks its your nems also I the last six weeks I lost my mandrian, scooter bleeny, green chromis, firefish, and a bartlet, but removing some nems now to hopefully reduce my lost in the future.

Weird, I knew nems CAN eat fish, but I have never had an issue with it and never really heard of someone losing this many fish in such a short time to a nem...

In the past six weeks I am missing scooter blenny, green maderian Barttlet, green chromis but gave away two nems so hopefully that helps might have something to do with adjusting my lights so its darker longer for my sps and lps to feed. Maybe there swimming into them at night who knows its just part of the hobby. Keeps happening then I will have to get rid all but 1 nem. We will see

well I was having some bacteria issues I found out since my yellow tang died =[... I'm guessing the small guys fell to it as well and the crabs took care of them =/ My Nems are not going anywhere I like them to much and so do my clowns.

Back