Mistake with Flower Pot?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

ill have a pic in a week njot exact same colour even better really and it is yellow rest ausured have u dived the great barrier reef? i will prove u wrong im sorry to say mr calfo because i have seen yellow goni maybe they only occure in australia i dont know but i dont think its dyed

ill have a pic in a week njot exact same colour even better really and it is yellow rest ausured have u dived the great barrier reef? i will prove u wrong im sorry to say mr calfo because i have seen yellow goni maybe they only occure in australia i dont know but i dont think its dyed

I look forward to any pictures you can provide!

Does Goniopora eat phytoplankton or zooplankton? They are each drastically different food sources.

FWIW I've been feeding Coral Frenzy as a zooplankton substitute with great success. It's nice because it is a dry product, so you don't have to worry about shipping and frozen storage.

Good luck with this coral, and please keep us posted about its health :)

here are the pics on the yellow goni its bottom right of the first shot and then notice the slight violet highlights to the tips
dsc00147ay5.jpg

dsc00141vj1.jpg

dsc00140eb1.jpg

i do think the pics have a slight green hue to them i didnt want to tamper with the colours at all thats why i added the tank shot becasue u can get a feeling of how bright the yellow really is

Nice specimen Morgan... it definitely is not as bright yellow as mine though.

I did not enhance the color/saturation in photoshop of the two pics I posted at the top of the thread. I will post another picture hopefully tomorrow but I am sad to say that it is dying rapidly. I have tried a little live phytoplankton and just also received a free sample from Coral Frenzy but it is showing no signs of recovery.

thats sad to hear friend goniopora are a finicky coral indeed did u see it eating food at all?

Does Goniopora eat phytoplankton or zooplankton? They are each drastically different food sources.

It's my understanding that they don't eat phytoplankton. However, John Kelly, the Goniopora guru, lists phytoplankton as a food on his site (goniopora.org). Then again, I'm not sure if he's listing it as a direct food or an indirect food (by feeding invertebrates that make larvae, etc.).

Morgan - That is a pretty coral. But honestly, it looks a little bleached and stressed out to me. :(

well it must be the photos aye because that tank is the healthyest tank i have seen with the most exotic corals anywhere in australia im confident its in very safe hands its about 3 years old in that system

very pale... a poor specimen indeed, and may well be surving most wholly on detritus, which can fully support many bleached corals for years as a nitrogenous source. Bornemen did a fine/fun lecture in Lisbon on corals feeding... citing research that ran a gamut of time/trials demonstrating long term survival with high light low food, medium light medium food and low light heavy feeding (in layman's terms here). No surprise... the most heavily fed specimens fared well (lagoonal sediments/detritus as a principal source as I recall).

well it must be the photos aye because that tank is the healthyest tank i have seen with the most exotic corals anywhere in australia im confident its in very safe hands its about 3 years old in that system

Is that kinda like the saying "the camera adds 10lbs?" lol j/k ;) I think Anthony's post confirms my suspicion. The coral is just not happy. But that's not to say that your tank isn't healthy!

You can have a perfect, healthy, wonderful tank for one or two types of corals that turns out to be hell for another type of coral. This is the problem with many "mixed reef" tanks. You often find yourself trying to make one coral happy at the expense of another. This might be what's happening with this poor little flower pot. My guess is that the tank has intense light and low feeding (for "sps" maybe?). This might be great for corals like Montipora, but it's not good for Goniopora. As Anthony mentions, Goniopora like lower light and lots of food. So it's really not about how "healthy" the tank is... it's about if the tank is right for the coral. You see what I'm saying?

And not to be contrary, but what do you mean by "exotic?" Truth be told, aren't all corals "exotic?" Or, rather, even if some are more "exotic" than others, who's to say that "exotic" corals are harder to keep?

sihaya, in Australia it is much harder to get certain species of corals then in other places. :D

All of our tanks are exotic in there own right.

sihaya, in Australia it is much harder to get certain species of corals then in other places. :D

Fair enough :)

I just hope people understand that "exotic-ness," or hard-to-get-ness, has little to do with how demanding/sensitive the coral might be or any of its specific care requirements.

yes i do realize the diffences in exotic i more mean colourmorphs of corals and what not the owner of this tank is a marine biologist i think he pretty much the guru when it comes to corals
the yellow goni is not bleached it is just poor pictuer quality as that was a brand new camera my mate had just got
thanx and best of luck

Morgan, not to pick a fight or anything, but I highly doubt it's the camera's fault. It's not just the color that tells of the coral's stress, it's also the way the polyps are extended. Happy goniopora just don't look like that. How long as the marine biologist who owns the coral had it? It might be simply stressing out from being in a new tank.

Back