mistake you dont want to admit

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

bradreef

always kidding
Wanted to start a thread about all of the crazy things we have done while starting this hobby.

I will start.
I have had a skilter 250 because the guy at the store told me it was good.
I never test for PH
I had a blue tang in a 29 gallon tank

Ok I have some more

I bought the jebo protein skimmer
I use a rio as my return and I have a mag 7 sitting around but I am too lazy to change it
I have killed a mandarin and a copperband.

I also bought a red goniopora from Petco 4 years ago, and it is still going strong. People tell me that is amazing....

I also bought a big canister filter for my new reef tank. Want to buy it? Cheap! Lots of bioballs also available.

I was advised to take the bioballs out of my old setup, and was told to take them out slowly. After thinking "eh, that will take forever, lets just take them all out at once." So I dosed four days worth of buffer and calcium, with the thought being to prevent a swing caused by removing the balls.

Bad idea. Tank totally crashed, everything died except my clownfish, including all the worms that live in the rock, etc.

also, when i first set up my RO filter, I felt bad about throwing all the waste water away, so i set up a 45 gal garbage can to collect the waste water and then used the water. Worked great....except that one time I went out of town for a couple days and left the filter running. ANIHILATED the whole room it was in, as well as the basement below it. Thank god we were renting and I could let everything air out before the landlord found out. lol

I told Charlie that a razor shouldn't rust under water LOL
I forgot to mention (Only under perfect conditions):rolleyes:

Well I could mention the time when I pumped water directly onto a power strip & flooring where I was bare foot but hey I wouldn't want to look so bad :D

Scooterman said:
Well I could mention the time when I pumped water directly onto a power strip & I was bare foot but hey I wouldn't want to look so bad :D

You just did:eek::eek:, I hate to say, but I think I've done that too. God, we are lucky we are still alive!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1. my first fish put inside after two weeks, she was death after few days
3. had a few big crabs from Adriatic sea
2. I bought a Valentini puffer for my little reef

Welcome Morska, Glad you are here. Keep coming back.
Ok lets see, stupid stuff. Uhhhh, bought several prizam skimmers. The lighting on my first reef set up was a 500 watt clip on shop light. I dosed calcium and buffer for a long time with out any test kits. (SNOWSTORM) I got married twice. I told the captian of my submarine that he was wrong in front of the whole crew. (Extra stupid Xs 10) I could go on but that is enough for me to remember to think a little bit before I act today. LOL Steve

I think both times I was shocked. The first time I was pulling a plug out of a powerstrip, and wanting to be careful I pulled slowly.....well, the plug was being stubborn, so when I grabbed a little lower, I touched the prongs on the cord....while it was still plugged into the powerstrip. The second time....I grabbed the prong to get some hair off of it, on the cord to a dual ballast....when the other side was plugged in. I didn't know I was going to get shocked that way. Thanks mojo for informing me afterwards! :rolleyes: :lol:

I put a panther grouper in my 50 gallon reef when I started.
I dumped 20-30 teaspoons kalkwasser into my reef the first time I used it.
I never test my pH either.
I don't have a hospital tank.
I had a 7 inch naso and a 7 inch blue tang in my 50 when I started.
I started Sps before I understood Calcium, alk, and pH.
Im going back to softies, zoo'z and shrooms cause I still can't figure it out. LOL

Ok... I feel better confessing my reef sins..... I think. =)
Brett

set up a 5 gallon bucket of kalkwasser and used a maxijet 1200 to pump that into the tank with a simple float switch. When it stuck the PH was of the chart and the tank looked like a milkshake. Lost about 3 fish and one or two corals.

Had my kalk output go in right in front of my closed loop input...let's just say there was a bit of calcium build up on the pump.

Can't count the times I've started the RO/DI running to fill the holding tub and forgot. I have a stack of towels right there now....because I know I'll do it again. I keep asking for the float switch shut off for the thing, but none of the relatives seem to think it is a good gift...Ugh!

Back