Mix Lights?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

zulreef

I have 2 400watt lights MH(20k) and need to add a thrid. Could I put a 150watt or 250watt light MH(10K) in the middle?

Yep you could Zul, but as Brad says the 250 would be a better choice if your mixing.

MIke

mojoreef said:
Yep you could Zul, but as Brad says the 250 would be a better choice if your mixing.

MIke

Mike,

I have changed my mind about a 250 watt. Does anyone have a used 400 watt MH ballast for sale.

Zul

oceanencounter.com has DE 250 pendant kits for just over 300. The DE 250 will be as good as a 400. It is all about the light spread to mix in good with the 20k's so it isn't that noticable.

bradreef said:
oceanencounter.com has DE 250 pendant kits for just over 300. The DE 250 will be as good as a 400. It is all about the light spread to mix in good with the 20k's so it isn't that noticable.

Brad,

Thanks for what was said to help me decide on my lights.

Zul

Zul, it looks like the transformer is either really old, or gets pretty hot. I have a dual 400w ballast box and it has lots o holes drilled in to keep it cool.

Anyway, I just got a 250 to go between my 2 400's. Since that is the deepest area of the tank open to the top, I decided to go that way so I can keep my softies and LPS while concentrating the SPS stuff higher under the better light. I'm glad I got an Ice Cap Ballast, as it allows me to change from the 250SE to a DE if I find the mogul bulb doesn't do it for me. It should (haven't added it yet) help to fill in the dim spot in the middle I've always disliked.

Back