Mixing Anemones with LPS

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Skrymir

I have a 37g that hosts a few LPS corals, some mushrooms and a pair of clowns. I've read that anemones will move around and sting corals so I had ruled them as an addition to my tank. Lately I've seen pictures of tanks having LPS and anemones kept together. It seems possible, but is it worth the risk to the corals?

you can have anemones in the tank ... i mean not to many :p .
the problem with it is that anemones move so they could sting the corals I'm not sure about lps because they sting too :p.
hmm i'd just put one but just be careful when it moves because it could sting your corals, but once it's settle in, then you won't have a problem.

It's an adventure. ;) If your 'nem is happy and stays put, life is good. Sebaes, for instance, are very good at migrating---and will go where you least want them. I've done it. But if you really want the look of an anemone and a little less mobility [though they can move!] try a long-tentacled plate. They come in various colors (mine is bright orange: there are pinks, greens, purples, and combinations,) they have the long and short tentacled variety, and at least confine their travels to the sandbed.

I have a bubble tip that moved all over the tank for two months. He would even go into this airborne ball floating through the whole tank. Someone told me once he is somewhere good start spot feeding him every day mysis shrimp and he will stay put. It has been a couple months and hasn't moved an inch. I started feeding twice a week after the first week and still no moving.
-chris

I sold all my anemones for this reason. I can be done but if they decide to move they will become a pain in the #$$

From my experience and my understanding from what I've read they only move around when you first introduce them to the tank. Once they find a spot they like they stay unless sompthing changes their enviornment.As for the corals you keep again I would add corals after the anenome then be prepared incase sompthing accidentally happens by having carbon in the sump to take care of the different chemical warfare wich happens between corals as well as they compete for space though not always as fatal :paul

I have a gigantae that has been atached to the sme rock for 11+ years. another gigantae that hasnt move since I placed it ito the tank over a year ago, A RBTA that has stayed put for 3+ years and a hadoni that has been in the same corner for 2+M years. IME once they settle in, and if they are happy, they stay put

Back