Mixing Clowns?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Faciosity

reefer
So I was wondering peoples experience with mixing clownfish. I have a 75 reef with built in the back sump that cuts my usable room down to about 55 and I currently have a 2.5" ocellaris clown that hosts a huge RBTA. I have a chance to get a pair of clarkii clowns, but don't wanna get rid of the one I have. You think I should try putting them in? There is lots of room and hiding places, and I only have a few very small fish in my tank. From what I understand, both the ocellaris and clarkii clowns are the most peacful of the bunch, but also understand the risk of putting similar looking fish together.
Any info or opinions would be helpful. Thanks.

I wouldn't do it. The Clarkii's will make quick work of your Ocellaris. Better option would be adding 1 or 3 more A. Ocellaris

The clarkiis I had would beat on every new fish I added. They killed three or four fish and two cleaner shrimps. They are pains in the you know what... :)

I had similar problems with a tomatoe clown ,it used to bite my hand every time I put it in the tank. I had to get these REALLY small fish hooks for small trout eggs with a 1lb test line tied to it and fish for him. I just dangled the hook over his anemone and he bit it ,I set the hook and pulled him out . It didn't really hurt the clown just a really small hole in the lip and off to the LFS he went.

Yea, I decided to not even try. Thanks for the advise everybody. I just want more fish in my reef. I have aproximately 100 species/varieties of coral, but only 5 fish all 2.5" or smaller.

I have a,
Lawnmower Blenny, that I guess is actually about 3"
Ocellaris clown about 2.5"
Mandarin Dragonette/goby 2"
Yellow Tail Blue Damsel just over 1"
Pajama Cardinal 2"
Anybody got good suggestions for compatible reef safe fish?
Yea, I decided to not even try. Thanks for the advise everybody. I just want more fish in my reef. I have aproximately 100 species/varieties of coral, but only 5 fish all 2.5" or smaller.

I've had pretty good luck as long as they can stake out a terratory that is not line of sight to the other one. I have 3 different clown types in my tank, and they were not always in the beast I have now.

Clarkii's sux... no offence..
my marroon and false get along fine.. Clarkii's are so mean... hater fish.. i tell ya

get a fairy wrasse. they dont get big maybe 5 inches most and are very beautiful and great reefmates

Back