mixing salt

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

ollie51

i just switched to trop marin pro reef salt on the directions it says that as soon as the salt is mixed and dissolved you can add it to the tank i have always aerated fresh salt mix for a while what do you guys do?

I put my salt in, then add water. Then I mix with a spoon, then check salinity after all the salt is desolved. if low then add and mix again. If good then I dump in the tank. tanks about 5-8 minutes.

I use ocean pro though so I don't know how Tropic marine pro is.

I use to use TMPR for about 6 months. Switched because there is as good salt at cheaper price. Anyway, I always aerated overnight also and still do. I have never placed a fresh mix in my tank in less than 20 hrs of aeration. TMPR is very concentrated. I did find that it took less salt with the TMPR than ReefCrystals. I use RedSea Pro now and it's about the same salt use amount as TMPR. On the TM website the TMPR is noted to be formulated for tanks that use a calcium supplementation or calcium reactor. I don't use one on my 54 so this is another reason why I switched. See here: http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewItem~idProduct~QM1137.html

Not knocking the salt, as it is great salt. Just noting it's pricy and formulated for specific use based on what I have read.

i just switched to trop marin pro reef salt on the directions it says that as soon as the salt is mixed and dissolved you can add it to the tank i have always aerated fresh salt mix for a while what do you guys do?

I'd probably still aerate it to be safe. Just my thoughts :)

I always put the salt in the water which is in a 35 gal trash can then let a pond pump stir it up for a day and let it come to temp when that is done I test if all is ok I can change when ready
My goal is to one day have two tanks side by side one will be runing to the sump and the other will be off when it is time to change all I will do is switch valvs and I will have done a 30 -50 gal water change each tank will be able to stand alone to acomplish this

This is so much fun when can I afford to enjoy

tinmanny, I have a buddy with a 190gal and he his wc almost completely automated. Has a 40 gal plastic resivor above his sump. The amount of water that is in the second chamber of the sump is 20 gal. He always has 20 gals of rodi via float valve in his plastic resivor. When it's time to change the water he simply adds the salt in the top opening of the resivor, lets it mix overnight via pump and heater in the resivor and then in the morning, he shuts his sump off, opens a drain valve and drains the sump dry. While the sump is drained, he simply sponges out the sump chanber, then he open the valve from the resivor above the sump and the water fills the sump chanber. Entire process taks 5 minutes, including adding the salt the night before, turning the sump off, draining sump chamber, cleaning w/ a dry sponge, and filling. My next build will be modeled exactly after this concept, except I don't have a drain near by so I'll have to pump from the sump chamber to the shower.

From experience i can say tropic marine dissolves VERY fast (to the naked eye) but that does not mean you can get away with no aeriation. Better safe than sorry:rolleyes:

yep... takes about 5 min total...

water's at the right temp.

mix your salt and water, check check check. spin it around. make sure its all dissolved
and go to town....

I dont know what the airration fuse is about.... (lol me and scooter bin bumping heads for a year here with this) I dont know if its cause i have a lot a lot a lot of air being pumped in to my RODI holding tank...
but ive never airrated any bucket of salt water... only the fresh water in the tank.

so thats just me...

Back