mixing shrimp

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

idgy

Can you mix different shrimps together? I have two blood red shrimp and everytime I add a thrid one he is gone with in a week. I think the other two are bumping the third one off.

I wonder if they would accept a cleaner shrimp?

These two are always together like a pair of banidits.

idgy said:
Can you mix different shrimps together? I have two blood red shrimp and everytime I add a thrid one he is gone with in a week. I think the other two are bumping the third one off.

i have a single blood red shrimp and he's in my tank w/ 2 peppermints and a cleaner. they've been doing great for months

Could it be that the two you already have become a "mated" pair? I know they are "its" once it comes to sexing, and that they take turns pitching and catching but it's not out of the realm of possibilty that they have paired up and will not let any outsiders in. As for other species, should not be a problem. Mike.

Has anybody had experience with the sexy shrimp?

I have 5 sexy shrimp in my 29 and they form a cool little school. From what I have read they have to be the only shrimp in the tank as any other shrimp will eat them. There are quite a few fish that will munch them as well.

Great nano shrimp but don't add them to tanks with sensitive corals. They will perch on them quite a bit and may cause stress.

Cheers
Steve

cordodor said:
i have a single blood red shrimp and he's in my tank w/ 2 peppermints and a cleaner. they've been doing great for months

I have pepermints and cleaners tongether no problem too.

You can keep any of teh lystmata species together IME. Peppermints, cleaners , and blood/fire.

Good question Idgy

I too have had bad & allot of good luck with shrimp placement I think Mike (4251cpd) hit it right on as mated pairs are in the tank they tend to not welcome in the "new guy" I kind of ran across this about a year back I was loosing my Skunk cleaner shrimp ( Lysmata amboinensis) and i feel it was because I had a very aggressive Fire shrimp (Lysmata debelius) After getting him moved to his own tank I was able to get some peacefully pairs in there.
I my 75 gallon Tank I have been extremely lucky I have the original 2 ea pairs of the Skunk & Fire shrimp who have gotten along just great I have since added Peppermint Shrimp ( Lysmata wurdemanni) about 6 of them with no problems. My only other observation is my Fire shrimp usually stay hidden or very low key and my skunks stay out in the open almost all the time. About 3 months ago I added a Pair of Pistol Red Snapping Shrimp (Alpheus bisincisus) with a Randall's Shrimp Goby (Amblyeleotris randalli) And my fire shrimp move over the top of their den and stay just above them I try to feed all my shrimp weekly to avoid aggression and all of them will take it from my hand:)
I hope this helps,Jeff

idgy said:

Back