mixing the dams

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

runtowin777

Is it ok to mixs the damsc spec.? I'm just starting my tank and i need to cycle it but i dont want all of the same dams in there. i would like some variety.

no need to cycle with damsels... throw a raw, unseasoned table shrimp or a large pinch of flake food in there for a few days and that will get the cycle kick started... DO NOT put damsels in there unless you intend for them to be long term residents... many people, including myself, have torn a tank apart trying to get out a damsel that was harassing other fish

Hey runtowin777 WELCOME to RF!
Don't take this wrong....Glad you are here and asking questions. Most people don't until they kill enough fish that it effects their pocket book!
It is somewhat crewel to cycle a tank with Damsels. However, as 91YOTA stated they will repay the favor when you try and get them out!
Its best to cycle a new tank without live animals. We wouldn't do this to any other pet we owned, like a dog or cat. Besides it would be illegal!. Just because its a fish and not some fuzzy, cuddly creature that can be held by some superficial "insert own word here" doesn't mean it should be tortured!
Buy an ammonia and Nitrite test kit and you will know when your tank has cycled and is ready for fish!
Good Luck!

Back