mixing water

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

mercenary-grunt

i heard that people dont use RO/DI to mix salt with. they just use tap, quick filter, or a additive.... any thoughts?? or maybe a poll question??

Most people only do it until they realize an RO/DI is necessary to keep their tank clean and healthy.

I have used RO/DI water since I set my first tank up. Even my fw tanks are RO/DI. I never use tap water.

We used sink water on our first tank until someone recommended RO/DI water. After noticing a significant difference in health of corals, fish, and water, we've used RO/DI since, even on our brackish tank.

line out of the membrain feeds storage tank for use with reef. other line is waste line, all the impurities, feed that water to ur garden, house plans whatever.

many brands have diff colored lines or if ur like me and know ro units well u can pipe ur own so all mine are white.

I'm not sure what blue line/ yellow line means, because we buy our RO/DI water by the gallon at our LFS. I only have a 2 and 4 gallon SW tank and can't afford to buy an RO/DI unit for use at home.

While most use rodi units, I use tap water for my 240 gallon softy reef. I do have to use a dechlorinator, but that is all. My tap was has a tds of about 25 to 30.
I don't reccomend this to new hobbiest. I have had a few problems with different algaes over the years, but have learned to deal with it very well. If you start off dealing with the hassle of the rodi from the very beginning, you get use to it and it becomes routine.

check valve and float valve in a plastic barrel. a guy in puyallup off 112th sells food grade barrels for 35 dolla with removeavle metal banded lid with bungholes. set it all up the it automatically fills when u remove water no hassel.i keep a pump and air stone in ther. the pump has a 18inc pice of hose attached. so all i gota do is turn off pump rum my long hose hook up to pump then plug in. eric and becca have a remote controll pump which is awsome.

Back