Mojo's Airtones Clone Skimmer =)

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Mike, im using 2 6" airstones powered by LT19. Im getting tons of bubbles but they're too big. I beginning to think that the stones im using is not a fine pore. I have to check and see if they sent me the right stones.

Jonathan

Mike, i think you are right. I did check my receipt and it s says fine pore but the airstone is not producing small bubbles. Im gonna have to talk to them and see if they could replace it.

jonathan

Jon, when you get this puppy tweaked to perfection - send me a PM - we saw Mike's skimmer again yesterday and I really would like to try something like that on our new 150. We only have 36" height in stand though, so you gotta get the hacksaw out on that 56" beast!! :lol: Did you get the wet neck feature figured out yet?

Oh, Mike, you said you were a baby when they invented these airstones - huh...I always figured you'd been around since the earth's crust was still cooling!!! LMAO!! :D

You need a name Jon... a ReefFantaSea Mojo Special?

mojoreef said:
you want the ALR150cp

Mi

Is that the airstone you are talking about Mike? You must be talking to Jon. I think I want the ReefFantaSea Mojo special skimmer still! :D

lol, i didnt know the airstones came out way back. I feel alot younger (just kidding).

Vicki, i will defenitely keep you informed and the others about this airstones skimmer. Im pretty sure i can get this airstones tweaked in no time. I just need to get the right stones. Dont worry about your space, i can always make it fit for you.

Mike showed me how to make one out of tubing. I haven't tried it yet but i will try it soon.

jonathan

reeffan said:
Just want to keep you an update on this skimmer. So sorry took too long for me to get arround it. I replace the air pump LT15 to LT19. I find the LT15 a little under powered to run the two airstones. The airstones has been running for about couple of months now and i have not clean both stones and yet and no sign decrease bubble lost. However, even though the airstones are fine pore still produces large bubbles. Here's some pics.

reefan

Reefan,
What size air line do you have going to your skimmer and stones? The lt19 should power four 6" stones easily.

Don

rufio173 said:
I betch you got the medium pore diffusers. :( Those bubbles look way larger than Mojo's or DonW's skimmers!

Peace,
John H.

John,

Thats what im suspecting. The bubbles are way too large. Though, produces tons of bubbles. :razz:

jonathan

DonW said:
Reefan,
What size air line do you have going to your skimmer and stones? The lt19 should power four 6" stones easily.

Don

Im using a 3/8 airline from pump to 3/8 Speedfit and i used 1/4 tee for the inside tubings.

Also, probably because im using the wrong stones, im not able to get the right bubbles and performance. I have too wait for the right stones and see if i could use the LT15 instead of the LT19.

jonathan

Angel that is the reason everyone moved away from airstone skimmers in the first place. They work great but they degrade very fast and need to be changed out every week or two.

Mike

mojoreef said:
Angel that is the reason everyone moved away from airstone skimmers in the first place. They work great but they degrade very fast and need to be changed out every week or two.

Mike

Then how often do you change stones in your skimmer set up? This is intesting since I still see airstone skimmers sold on some dusty shelves in stores.

Angelscrx said:
Then how often do you change stones in your skimmer set up? This is intesting since I still see airstone skimmers sold on some dusty shelves in stores.

Angelscrx,
Mike and I is using a glass bonded airstones. If im not mistaken, this airstone can last about 6 months to a year before cleaning (this is according to manufacturer). The good thing about this new generation stones is that you can clean them and re-use it. Unlike the old school wooden airstone, you have to discard after they meet their lifespan.

reeffan

Have you got the right air stones yet?

I just got my Sweetwater Linear II 56 and 4 - 3" air stones in the mail today. Now I just need time to convert my skimmer and see the MOJO in action.

Back