I might be crazy for asking but
I am going to move into a new house next year
I am in the planning stages for a large plywood tank
300-500 gallons 96x48x36 or so
I have a plan for the tank
The next thing I need is the skimmer
I want to use an air stone system
I have be following some of the other threads
Could I use a 55-gallon Polly barrel for the mixing chamber?
4” or 6” clear PVC for the riser
So help me out, educate me on how to do this or something better
I want to build every thing before I move
Thanks
Ken
:?:

Welcome Ken...I see it's your first post! Better late than never (LOL). I have never built a skimmer myself, but have read some really good threads put together by people who have. I'm sure they'll get you sorted out soon enough. Sorry I can't be of much help...I just wanted to drop in and welcome you. Good luck.

Welcome to Reef Frontiers!!!

I'm not sure which threads you have been following, but here is one that might help if you haven't read through it: Barry Grossman's Big Tank. The skimmer is talked about on and off through the thread, and plastic barrels were mentioned towards the end of the thread. I don't see why a barrel wouldn't work.

Sorry I can't be more help on the design of the skimmer. Look forward to this project when it gets underway!

Spazz, you do some impressive work. Welcome to our forum, if you decided to make it one of your homes we would be honored.

big t said:
Spazz, you do some impressive work. Welcome to our forum, if you decided to make it one of your homes we would be honored.

i have been hanging out in the background here and there. i had to make my presents known finally. lol. :D thanks for the complment. i try. by the way i think the honor is mine not yours. im just a truck driver. bottom of the food chane and all. ha ha ha :badgrin:

Last edited:
Well I have to say that of all the boards that I visit, this one I call home. Great forum w/ a lot of friendly peeps.

big t said:
Well I have to say that of all the boards that I visit, this one I call home. Great forum w/ a lot of friendly peeps.
my addition makes me reasearch everything to death. i have to get 5 different views on a subject so i can drive my self nuts trying to figure out which is the best for me. so i need 5 different websites to do my reasearch in. ha ha ha :lol:

Hey Shortbus welcome aboard!! I would go with a smaller barrel size as 55 gallons is going to be a bit to big, but a 30 gallon or simular size would make a good one, you can always turn it down or speed up the water going through it to dail it up or down,

Spazz welcome to RF, great to have you around

MIke

Thanks for all the advice
First I have to admit I am a geek
All Ken’s unite
Spazz I feel your pain
I read and read, think and think, sometimes I dream on it also
Sometimes I find the answers, most of the time, not
There is not one answer
So ideally for 800 Gallon thank
What size mixing chamber do I need –is 30 gallons still too much
What is the ideal flow though the skimmer 2-3 times tanks volume?
As for air volume is 13% the max you can pump into the skimmer water
What do you think of using an air lift tube to return the skimmer water to the main tank?
On a side note
For mater movement in the main tank
I am thinking of using the tunze or seio’s 2600
How long do the tunze stream pumps last?
At my current kw/hr it would take me 3-4 years to make up the difference in purchase price
Any one have any ideas on a DIY wave type box, I am not sure how they work

My current setup is
90g, 30g sump asm3 skimmer/ cheato
2-250 hqi 1400k, 2-96w 03 pc
LPS, zoo’s, softies
Bla, bla, bla
Thanks
Ken

as to the skimmer. you would need a minimum of 40 cfh of air to the skimmer body to clean the water properly. so i would say a 20-25 gallon main chamber would do the trick. either a beckett aor needlewheel would be my choice of injecting air.

Back