monti id

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Snappy

clever title goes here
I have several encrusting monti's that are similar, but with different colours and shapes of branches, etc. I posted a pic of one in a different thread that still seems to be a little unclear as to the exact id. Any idea what this one might be?
feb_9_07_041monticloseup1.jpg

sorry, i'm only guessing. it could be danae, verrucosa or palawanensis etc. it's quite difficult to differentiate them :)

Last edited:
It's either M. danae or M. verrucosa. They are almost impossible to tell apart. Even the skeletons are the same.

The other Montipora looks like M. peltiformis.

Regards,
Kevin

i have a false superman danae..it looks similar to the first pic of the danae's he posted....it used to be a different color, but my lighting has changed it

I was going to say M. verrucosa too for what it's worth. The M. danae is what the superman is supposed to be.

My guess was M. verrucosa as well except I have a few like this but all different shades so I wasn't sure if they are the same.
Thanks everybody.

Very nice! Didn't calfo come out with a new book or something that helps identify sps? If not he really should I know I would/will buy it.

It looks like a Tyree Limited Edition Monti the Palawanensis species. It looks similar, but the one above has what looks like bumps on the surface.

Back