monti id

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Looks like verrucosa. I used to have a couple of small wild collected colonies. Nothing as nice as yours though, I'm jelous:doubt:

Get the 3 book addition 0f corals of the world. They are great.

I have those books as well as a bunch of others and they are great, however the pictures & descriptions in those books often don't match what my stuff looks like. The M Verucossa in there doesn't really look like mine and they says it grows laminar and flat but mine grows up & out & every which way and is going crazy. That is why I come here looking for peoples educated opinions. I asked about this piece in another thread but here is another example of what most think is M Verucossa but looks different than what Veron says it should and different again from the specific piece I was asking about in this thread.
verucossa.jpg

Last edited:
Umm, didnt really realize the whole thing branched. Maybe i can get at a better id for that. If not, i know a guy who can.

It is always such a challenge to try to ID different reef building corals. IMHO, I think that monti's are 1000X more difficult than Acroporas. *maybe that is because I have had less experience over the years with Monti's* Anyway, with all of the resources we have available, I wonder what the percentages of times that we guess correct are? As you can tell from the numerous answers of hobbiests, one coral can provide a number of different answers.

I have an Acropora in my tank that is maricultured. The new growth on the coral looks COMPLETELY different than the portion that grew under its natural conditions. .

At the MACNA in DC, Borneman was teaching a coral id session. Interestingly enough he had an acropora skeleton that on first glace looked like a porites. I wish I had a better grasp of Montipora identification. To me, other than Undata's and Denae's the majoritiy of the encrusting Montis look so much like each other. Nevertheless, I hate common names:rolleyes:

Servo,
It is interesting how with many sps coral even frags taken from the same mother colony can look so different, even sometimes in the same tank, depending on the light & flow in a given area. There was a couple of interesting articles written about "Reticulate Evolution" by Daniel Knopp & J E N Veron in Coral magazine vol2 #6. For me sometimes you can only do a best guess and have to be satisfied with that.:cool:

Sue,
I think I have a few freaks in my tank:eek:

Last edited:
Back