Montipora question

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Damsel13

I love the look of the "cabbage" looking montiporas. I was wondering what lighting was absolutly necessary to keep this type of coral?

Do you meen the lettuce monti? Frilly looking.

I have mine under 14K's MH and VHO

I did start my colonies under PC lighting and it did well there also. Just had to keep it high in the tank.

the best is to have them in MH just because of the colors :D ... but pc can be good too...... you just won't get the ohhh so kewl colors doodette :D .

I'd be a little hesitant to run them under PCs. you may be able to get away w/ T5s, but Mh is probably your best option.

I have been quite successful in the past growing them under pc lighting. The growth was slower then under MH or T-5's but the lived and grew.

Can't say for sure but Montipora Capricorn Comes to my mind. I grew that under vho sucessfully !

This is under 500W MH 14K and 330W actinic VHO all IC ballasts

monti.jpg

there are so many color variations to this type of montipora. They all are beautiful and the growth shapes are just as cool. I have never grown any of my sps under anything less than halides but some do ok.

Ok, I am going to give it a try. As soon as I can afford it I am going to add a retro fitted T-5 bulb to my canopy. Right now I have 2x96 PC 50/50. If I can only fit one T-5 bulb what "color" should it be? And are they hot?

I will try a frag of a monti in the top third of my tank.

Thanks Everyone :)

Back