Montipora Tank

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

dwdenny

First of I know that you are very busy and hope things are going well. Anyway to the point I have found the type of corals that I would like to make a specific tank to of those being Montipora type corals. I wanted to run my plan by you Anthony and others of course for suggestions and advice.

The tank is a 40g breeder will be BB with RDSB in the fuge with some type of marco(yet to find the best). Sump/fuge will be DIY about 25g total running at about 18g or so. Recirculating skimmer feed from a Calfo overflow that will be split to feed the Fuge as well. Iwaki 20RLT or simular pump head will be about 5' more or less so I am looking at about 430gph from the pump. I would love to do a CL but for now I am going to stick a seio 620 and 820 in the display one low and one a little higher to keep organics suspended as much as possible. For lighting I am looking at running a 4X39w T5HO with SLR reflectors on regular T5 ballasts. Bulb combo of 2 aquablues and 2 blue+ lamps. I might need to add a daylight not sure. Mainly going with T5HO due to the high heat in the summer down here in Texas. How does this sound so far anything I need to add look at. Once again thanks for you time.

Doug

With all the problem with matching flows for a mixed reef I figured it would be easier(some what) to make a species type tank. Souldn't have a problem with chemical warfare as well. I was just wondering if the lighting was enough. I know corals are very adaptive to the situation but I want to make sure the evironment is good for them.

I get the best color from monti grown under mh.
Even wild colonies the new growth is much brighter and more colorful under 20,000k mh. I can see a dividing color line where the growth took place in my tank, and where the growth took place in the wild.

Yeah but at only 15" deep MH will become a big heat issue I am afraid. Here in South Texas/Mexico border town summers are 110+ with high humidity. I keep the A/C at 78 during the day and 75 at night. I have seen some really nice tanks with T5 but I was unsure if 4X39w with IC SLR reflectors was enough. To me T5 are high light especially right under the lamps.

Rio grande Valley about 12 southeast of El Paso following the Rio Grande River

cheers, Doug...

kudos to you on the specialized aquarium here. For Montis... the moderate light scheme you have suggested is very appropriate (whereas MH is not unless it is exceedingly blue in color (ala 20k K) or placed very high off the water... likely a waste either way).

Just consdider that you can still only put so many corals in a 40 gall display. Please have a long view for what their growth can be and let them grow magnificently :)

kindly, Anthony

Anthony thanks for the reply. Yes I have been researching and the Monti caps are by far the one I like however the growth will concern me so I looking more at M. digitata, M. danae, more of the encrusting and branching. But I am sure I will have a M. capricornus is there but limited to one I am sure. This will give me a reason to upgrade to custom tank in the near future.

Doug

Here's a couple M. danae's

rainbow.jpg

monti.jpg

-Josh-:cool:

a passing FYI, do go easy on the use of species names here. They are nearly useless with this (and many) genera. Acroporids in particular as this Family member is.

At best, say "danae-like", etc if you want to be truthful and more accurate. I could put a half dozen nearly identical Montipora in front of you and you could not select the M. danae out to save your life short of a lucky guess ;) If it's any consolation... I could not either ;)

Back