Moon lights... What do you like/use? Colors...

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

CJG

Just curious to know what are some of the better and more liked brands of moon lights. What's your favorite? What don't you like? Whats your preference of color (blue, white)? Are there other types DIY lights that work just as good as moon lights if not better? Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks

I love my LED moonlight string, really lights up the phosphorescent corals. Anthony Calfo says moonlights are bad for the corals and only good for the fun of them but 2 hours at most.

I love my LED moonlight string, really lights up the phosphorescent corals. Anthony Calfo says moonlights are bad for the corals and only good for the fun of them but 2 hours at most.

So far it all looks good. Where did you get your moonlights herefishyfishy?

i have moonlights on some of my tanks, but don't use them anymore..i used to like the look..i preferred the blue ones, but i had both blue and white...

I use them and they work great!! I love mine. All you have to do is buy one of those that comes with the jack and then the rest just plug into that one. It's great and i went with white. It's not super bright but it allows for 24/7 viewing which is awesome!

I'm not looking for something super bright. I more or so just want that nice little shim that reflects the current of the water on the seafloor. Thats what I truly want. A couple ??? How far are your lights placed from the top of the water? How many do you have along your tank? What are the dem. of your tank? How much ground would you say one light covers footage wise? Thanks, I hope I didn't overwelm ya.

Those PFO lights cover 2ft x 2ft and are 1 watt. On my tank I'd only need two. But they arn't cheap. But with all the money tied up into my tank what's 100 bucks at this point?

I was under the belief that the intial attraction to moolights was the claim that we could prompt spawning responses with them.. So far in all the post's I see no mention of coral spawning as a percieved result of using moonlights.

Have most reefers switched to just using them for looks and not encouraged spawning? and further does it even work.?

Can I hear from some that have had success with spawning due to moonlights.

I would also like further details from the person that claims Anthony Calfo stated that their use is harmful. This statement is not a flame just a quest for more information for my noggin. :) Where can I reference this info??

Last edited:
Sorry CJG,

I wasn't paying attention. Well i have a 210 (6ft long) and it has two brackets in the middle. You know whatlet me just show you a picture it will be easier.

I added a piece of wook to my canopy and place the lights evenly in between each opening. The lights are about 8-10" above teh water. As you can see they just connect together easily. I would say that each light can cover a 2'x2' area easily. I screwed them into the wood as well. Where the original canopy braces are on the canopy is exactly where they are on my tank so there was no way for me to put then on that. These lights don't exactly brighten up the tank but it gives you the shimmer your looking for and allows you to watch your fish 24/7.

Again sorry for the delay. Just let me know if you have anymore Qs i am happy to help.

Nick

Better late than never. The info you gave me is very helpful. Like I said, I'm not looking for something all that bright, just that dim look where by the time your eyes dial in, you can see whats going on.

Then thats the way to go in my opinion. I don't think you'll be disapointed at all withthese lights. Also i forgot to mention that in the second picture i have egcrate over the top of my tank and it kinda acts as a screen so your tank may be brighter than mine because the screen blocks some of the light on my tank. Just a thought.

Back