Moon Lights

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

I had them on my tank, but unplugged them last week, as my new little true perc stayed up all night, reading comic books and playing with trading cards.

Anthony Calfo says they are not good for corals and recommends against them.

I vacillate on whether to use mine or not. Wouldn't waste money on them unless you feel a need for display.

I like my moon lights and see no adverse reactions happening with my corals. I use them for a reason also. I recently added a carpet anemone. Keeping the moon lights on helps my fish see whee it is at night and not swim into it.
I am curious about what Anthony has to say though and will go read that link now. Who knows, I just might learn something. :D

Ok i learned a little bit.
There was the question about the color spectrum hurting the corals from the UV. I find this interesting and wonder again why all the hype on blue LED's when moon light is really white reflected sunlight. Not hype on that thread but rather with the manufactures.
I find my white LED's look more natural personally. I am not to sure if they sell them in white but if your a DIY dude like me give them a try and see.
I also use a dimming switch so can adjust the intensity. I normally keep it set to 6v and can bring it up to 12v.

Thanks Krish for the link. Lots of info. I wondered if the moon( blue,white, green light ) stimulate's growth-polyp extension. Dose it really get pitch back on the reefs or is there a small amount of light that seep thru. After all we are trying to get as close as we can to copying the ocean reefs.
If that's the case do certain things happen as far as spawning etc, when full moon comes around or more of a gravitational pull thing.

Last edited:
when i went night diving in Hi. with the moon out. the light did penitrate at least to 40 feet. although its not strong.

i heard moonlights encourage some shrimps to breed. you need a lot of moon lights to get the visual effect but it is really nice to have.

it was a blue light. is it the same spectum that people are selling? i do not know. as you go deeper the water filters every thing but the blue light.

Back