Moonlights!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

SaltwaterTeen

Well, at the meeting my dad was talking to another guy outside (Guy was wearing a carhartt jacket) and he said that the guy told him about these cool moonlights that are water proof and stuff. We made our own moonlights, and they were expensive! Also, the moonlights you buy at aquarium stores are just too much! So my dad went to freddy's and brang it home! These are soo cool! They have the lights in a protective covering, and they have a cool quick connect wire that goes from the socket wire to the lights, so this whole system will NOT get corroded! And these are like the same brightness as my LED DIY system that costed quite abit, and the cool thing is that these lights are only $10 and they have another light socket, so you could buy another pair and add it to your existing pair! They come with little plastic mounting brackets, so we are going to mount the moonlights to our hood! Thanks guy at the psas meeting with the tan carhartt jaket! Whoever you are :D

First of all I had a GREAT time at the meeting as well. EVERYONE I met was very FRIENDLY and had LOTS of FANTASTIC information to share.

Does anyone out there have a DIY plan on building a moonlight?

Thank you!!

Aww man... I lost the link, I dont think the DIY is worth it, you have to pay for a transformer, LEDs, and have to be very very carful when soldering the LEDs cus they are weak

Tell me how to post a link and I will send the plans. I got the leds and the transformer plus the electrical calculator downloaded just need the resistors. Steve

All u need to do is highlight the adrees bar, hold ctl+c for copy and go on here and hold ctl+v which is paste :D

Ok I am dumb as a post when it comes to this stuff all I get is taken to the site or stuck or something dumb happening. I know the only reason computers do dumb stuff is because of a dumb operator. Thats me. So I will write it down and try to type it in. Here goes. www.kaotica.com/frag/diy/moonlight/ Supposedly that will get you there. Steve

Apparently these rope lights are available at Fred Meyer??....Which department?...Sounds good, I'd like to try them out.

i had purchased a string of four LEDs from walmart for $20. i had to paint them blue, but they've been in my canopy for about a year and a half and are still working great. for the price i would say that i've gotten my money's worth even if the fail tonight.

I got mine from unitech systems inc. Very high out put leds. 420 nano meter spectrum. I got 15 deleverd for under 20 bucks. I am going to have to get a new transformer or a resistor pack. They are rated to 3.6v cont. 5v temporary. Very very bright crisp light. Steve

I have used lights from this company autolumination. http://autolumination.com/fixtures.htm I used the 3 led wide angle led fixtures and they seem to work very well. they are sold with a long wire lead already on so there is no soldering to worry about. the correct resistors are in place so you just hook up a 12 volt power supply and plug it in. You can find 12 volt wall warts at most thrift shops or radio shack.

I have a couple of those autolumination LEDs in my hood - I just hooked it up to a PS as stated and now I have moonlights! They flouresce(sp?) the GSP quite well.

Back