Moorish Idol Question

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

csababubbles

Sorry for constantly asking questions about my Idol, Lee, but hopefully you have patience for my latest question. I had planned to move the Idol from my 125 to a 220 so he could have more room. But I read in the past some articles you wrote that state that you should not introduce new fish to an established Idol, as well as placing the Idol in his long-term home originally. Honestly I have followed the first rule (no new fish in Idol tank) but unfortunately I feel like the 125 is getting to small for him and would like to move him to another tank with established fish (3 anthias, regal & potter angels, copperband & saddleback butterflys, fang blenny, candycane hogfish)

He has more than doubled in size since I acquired him years ago and the tank sees to be getting smaller and smaller as time goes by and he grows.
So do the benefits of a larger tank outweight the fact that he has to be moved to a different tank with different fish now that he has established himself and acclimated very well in the 125?

Last edited:
I thought you moved it quite some time ago?

The fish in the new tank don't have any issues with the Idol, unless you know of some personality trait that stands out (i.e., a fish that is assertive or aggressive).

What sometimes happens is that the new fish finds different bacteria and micro life in the new home that it doesn't have good defenses against. It is rare, but possible.

I don't see any reason to not move the fish. The larger tank would help in the long run if the fish overcomes the short term adjustment. So the move is generally advisable.

I have been meaning to for the past few months but have not moved him yet. I want to move him and the Panda Puffer but I keep wussing out for some reason on the day of the transfer. I really want my regal angel to be fully acclimated before putting in more fish. He is eating everything in sight but I want to make sure the eating continues, without lapse, for a few months before putting in Idol and Panda.

Mark, I have no corals in either tank. The resident fish (butterflys, puffers, etc.) are all coral killers! I do have a nice arrangement of macro algaes though to give some movement and color. Surprisingly, I love the macro algae tanks just as much as the coral tanks!

Last edited:
Alright, the Panda Puffer went into his new home this weekend. Capture, acclimation, and release went flawlessly! He felt right at home in the new tank, even made himself a nice little sleeping nest amongst the macro algae like he did in his old tank. None of the other resident fish were bothered by him and all continued eating with no problems. I was a little nervous about the regal angel being scared to eat but I dropped clams in for the puffer and the regal angel pushed aside the giant Panda Puffer to get at the clams. I could hardly believe it!

One thing I noticed is that the following day the Panda was swimming so much in the currents all around the tank. I am so happy for him because he looked so cramped in the 125 gallon tank that he could barely get up to speed before coming to an obstruction. In his new tank he's got lots and lots of swimming space and he's using it all. Kinda feel bad about keeping him in captivity, imagining him swimming all happily in the Red Sea and everything, ya know. Anyways, everything is all good with his new home and new tankmates.

Back