More new questions

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

melsmom

Well, last night my fish died. totally upsets me because this i did on my own.
I would like to know if anyone has had troubles with fish stores, any of them, in Spokane!

Heres what I need to know now, Sand bottom or crushed coral???

I thought it was crushed coral that was best, and Im finding out I'm wrong on that too! so what type and how much. I'll be totally re doing my tank.
Thank you Jan for your support last night. very appreciated.:)

Sorry to hear about your fish. I started out with a "rogue" fish guy (victim of not knowing better and trusting) and ended up replacing alot of equipment, etc. Now a year later and I'm happy as a clam!!!

I have crushed coral and have had no issues at all with it.

really? okay well one of the shop owners here in spokane told me to get it out because it traps the dirty stuff (cant quite figure out what she called it) in there, where sand it settles on the top, and you can just vacuum it off.
however, I vacuum it when I do water changes so I think I'm keeping what I have. plus I like the way it looks! :D
Thank You for your input. I appreciate it!

sand

Hi yes i have had in my reef set up for 5 years and have no issue all i do like you said i sipphon it around every two weeks when i do my water changes yes it can keep detrus i think thats how you spell it but as long as you keep sipphoning the substraight you should be fine.:)

I have heard there is one store in Spokane where the owner, a lady, is very er.. set in her ways! That she tends
to know her stuff but gets mad at you if you dont follow what she says...
I was asking at a pet store in spokane about salt water.. seems you get a different answer at each store.

I dont have a salt water tank, YET! I'm trying to jump in really slow!

You can succed with CC or LS but CC much harder. But theres much more to this hobby then substrate. Fish are pretty hardy and hard to kill if you have a basic knowledge.

High ammonia and low O2 are the 2 worst. You need proper water flow for constant O2 supply which is achieved from a gas exchange at the surface. Then high ammonia from a cycling tank or water source can cause this.

Back