Mortin Salt for Water Softening

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

surf_buddy

Hypothetical: If you had a fish store in the Seattle area would you have a reason to use this product for your freashwater/saltwater applications? Something I saw today has me wondering...

Do you mean the Morton salt pellets for water softeners (as opposed to Morton's table salt)? I would say the use would depend on the quality of water being used.

Where I live, our water is terrible, so we use water softeners. My RO/DI unit doesn't have to work as hard when the water is softened before going into the unit.

Do you mean the Morton salt pellets for water softeners (as opposed to Morton's table salt)? I would say the use would depend on the quality of water being used.

Where I live, our water is terrible, so we use water softeners. My RO/DI unit doesn't have to work as hard when the water is softened before going into the unit.

Yes... the salt pellets. I know my water out of the tap has a TDS between 35and 45 here in Seattle. I doub't it much different 7 miles down the road. It makes sense to soften the water before going through RO/DI, but last I spoke with this shop they do not have a RO system in place. I'm thinking it's being used just to soften the water and fill the tanks. I have just never heard of anyone in the area using softeners, and it got me thinking how it was being used.

Salt pellets are frequently used with freshwater fish.
Brackish water fish, in particular and also as ich treatments in freshwater fish.

Vicki

Salt is used for Koi to help with stress and some parasites. 99.6% pure salt for water softeners sure beat buying anything that is used for fish (price)

I use a special aquarium (and have used a trashcan set-up in the back yard) full of Caulerpa racemose to condition tap water; no RODI, no chemicals, nothing. Just don't add more that 1 gallon tap water to 30 gallons of conditioned water in 1 day.

I use a special aquarium (and have used a trashcan set-up in the back yard) full of Caulerpa racemose to condition tap water; no RODI, no chemicals, nothing. Just don't add more that 1 gallon tap water to 30 gallons of conditioned water in 1 day.

Salt is used for Koi to help with stress and some parasites. 99.6% pure salt for water softeners sure beat buying anything that is used for fish (price)

Salt pellets are frequently used with freshwater fish.
Brackish water fish, in particular and also as ich treatments in freshwater fish.

Vicki

Since I'm not a freash/brackish water hobbist the information you all provided is very insightful. Thanks for all the replies!

Adding salt to the water does not soften it. Hard water is due to Ca ++ and Mg++ and the salt does not remove it. Morton salt is used in a water softener. A media in the water softener removes the Ca++ and Mg++ by ionic exchange, where the Ca++ and Mg++ are picked up by the media, where Na++ ions are kicked out. The media is recharged with the Morton salt, where the salt kicks the Ca++ and Mg++ back out and replaces it with a new Na++ ion. That "bad" water with the Ca++ , Mg++ and the salt is then flushed down the drain and the cycle restarts.

NaCl, salt, is often used in FW tanks.

1. It adds electrolytes

2. It helps with diseases

3. It protects the fish form Nitrite poising which is very toxic in FW

surf_buddy

TDS between 35and 45

With water like there is no reason for a WS. You could even get by wth just a RO and no DI but I wold stick with the DI. You will gain about zippo with a WS.

Back