most humane way to kill a suffering fish?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

morgan said:
stimulas response so the fish is still feeling eg. if u have ever dived alot of caves and snuck up on sleeping fish just a slight touch of the finger and they shot away faster then anything if they can feel that im sure it would feel a a spear gun in the side and not being able to breath properly because of high salinity levels if a fish can be stressed it can feel pain after all being stressed is an emotion
Stress is also an emotion that in the strictest term is misused, especially in this context. What is implied is a response to health concerns in regard of environmental factors. ie, poor water quality affecting the fish's ability to breath, skin damage affecting it's ability maintain osmotic balance, infections drawing on the fish's stored energy reserves and so on. A better use of wording would be "straining" the fishs' health.

As to the cave scenario you point out, it again is a response to stimulus. The lateral line of the fish detects changes in the waters vibrations/pressure/current and reacts to that. Not an emotional response of fear. Same answer on the spear gun, the brain capacity simpley doesn't exist.

In regards to pain specifically though, I would urge you to look into the term "Nociception". It may help clear some of these misconceptions up.

Cheers
Steve

so it can feel things touch it and knows if it has been touched but if u stabed it it wouldnt be able to proccess the idea of pain and just wonder why it cant swim in a straight line right so im with u now
but can an octupus feel pain cause there sposed to be smarter then dolphins

morgan said:
so it can feel things touch it and knows if it has been touched but if u stabed it it wouldnt be able to proccess the idea of pain
Correct.. :cool:

but can an octupus feel pain cause there sposed to be smarter then dolphins
Actually, iteresting you mention that comparison. I was watching a show on the knowledge network last night and they compared the intelligence of the octopi to that of the common house cat. A far cry from a dolphin but keep in mind that you are comparing "perceived" intellegence, not brain developement. As far as the brain developement of the octopus, it (frontal lobe) increases as the animal ages. It would appear though that it's developement is in direct relationship to the need for tactile senses so in part could definately be an indication of it's ability to actually feel pain. How it's brain processes that information though, I am unsure. I have not researched it enough to draw an informed conclusion.

Cheers
Steve

Back