Mounting Frags

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

greenmonkey51

I'm gonna order some frags from Live Aquaria. I'm gonna get a couple of their frags and I really don't like the plugs they use. Whats my best option for mounting the frags. So far all I've done is find a crevice and stick the plug in or drill a hole in a small rock.

If the frag is encrusted on the plug, I usually cut off the stick part using coral clippers and glue the flat plug to the live rock using IC Gel. If the frag is not encrusted, I take the frag off the plug and glue the frag directly to the live rock.

For a more natural look I break the coral off the plug and super glue it into the main rock work. A phillips screwdriver can form a hole in the rock to receive the frag if needed.

Regards,
Kevin

The smaller frags from Live aquaria aren't bad, but if you're getting any of their macricultured colonies the bases they are attched to are really huge. We had to resort to an air compressor with a cutting wheel on a couple large plugs, but it is tough stuff to cut through.

I have found that clipping the frag off the plug works better if you wrap the coral/frag and plug loosely in a towel when you're trying to take a cutting. At least that keeps the frags from flying across the room!

The only coral that I ever left on a plug ended up dieing. It's the only coral that I have lost so far. Coincidence?

80% of the corals I have gotten through DFS were broken. The huge frag plugs
banging against coral branches is disaster waiting to happen.

ORA has nice sized plugs but some of the others are just stupid big.

TNC has the biggest stupidest ones.

Being somewhat new.... ORA, TNC, DFS???? Can you help?

Acronyms for web coral suppliers.

DFS = Drs. Foster and Smith, which is the parent dry-goods company of LiveAquaria.com
TNC = I have no idea, TCN is Acronym for the The Coral Nursery.
ORA = www.orafarm.com, although you can't order from them direct unless you're a retailer.

You'll find a lot of people here are fond of Acronyms instead of spelling stuff out ! :)

Back