Mounting Halides in hood.

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

macronut

i had planned on adding my mh 250w 10000k lights to my new canopy this weekend, but it didn't happen. The reflector is parabolic from Hellolights. I was wondering if anyone mounts these directly to their canopy lid or drop them 3/4" screwed into another piece of wood. This would allow more air to circulate. I like the idea of more air circulation. I have just about enough room to mount the halides and add two 110 W VHO's.

I think the idea is that you don't want to get your bulbs too close to the water so if you have plenty of clearance it won't cause any problems. I haven't really heard of anyone worrying about it though.

Tim

I used bolts to mount mine. Put the bolt through the reflector and then put a nut on it. Add another nut leaving the amount of space you want between the reflector and the canopy then add a nut on the outside the canopy. Can not get any more open for circulation than that. PS I used stainless bolts.

Last edited:
I used bolts to mount mine. Put the bolt through the reflector and then put a nut on it. Add another nut leaving the amount of space you want between the reflector and the canopy then add a nut on the outside the canopy. Can not get any more open for circulation than that. PS I used stainless bolts.

Brenden is the man:)

i left the top off of my canopy...i had my reflectors mounted to a 1x4...i just had it sitting on top of my open-top canopy...it made it really easy to remove them anytime, and there was plenty of circulation that way....i was worried about alot of light coming out of the top of the canopy, but there really wasn't

halides finally installed/ty

Thanks for the suggestions. Much appreciated. I finally got the lights mounted in the canopy and all is well. One week later than I wanted, but I ended up getting sick and didn't feel like working on it. I finished the project yesterday. I am very pleased! I mounted the reflectors right up in the canopy. I had more problems withe the VHO's (soon to be changed to something else). This is the first time I have used halides and I am very pleased with the 250W 10000K XM's I have. I am also using 2 110W Super Actinic VHO's. I have a nice crisp white look, but may try 14000k at a later time for just a bit more tinge of blue. I've only been running the halides for several hours and the super actinics for 10.

For those who like pics I'll post as soon as I get the camera charged.

Thanks again

Back