MOVE TO NEW TANK...suggestions please.

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

burban94

I currently have an 8og bow front that I will be upgrading from to a new 125g. Now the actual move isn't whats bothering me. It is the difference in water volume that has me worried about re-cycling.

Should I:

1.Make the majority of the new water fresh water (new) and add existing water to top it off.

2.Transfer as much old water as possible and then top of with made up water.

3.Completely fill with fresh water (new).

Any suggestions would be helpful.

I personally would take the opportunity to do a nice sized water change during the transfer and use as much new fresh water (salt mix) as you can. Most of your beneficial bacteria in your old tank will be found in your liverock and substrate so not using much (if any) of the old water won't be a problem. This is what I always did when swapping tanks which was done quite a few times. I always took the opportunity when doing a swap to use some new made up water and discard the old. :)

Last edited:
Whats in your 80gal tank? Do you have live rock? How much ?
More info would help fish only or reef ?

#2 seems by far the best choice.:eek::p

If re-cycling is your worry use as much of the old water as you can brown or not. Looks like you'll need to add about 40 -50 gallons of new salt mix.

ROB - ARSA

I'd say you'd be fine with either #1 or #2. I always went with the #2 option and it always went well(well, once I moved and once I upgraded)

As long as you can duplicate water parameters of new water go with #1, if not safer to go with #2 to reduce possible shock by dumping livestock into new water. I killed my oscar when I was a kid as I had not changed the water for 6 months then did a massive water change to try and make up for my neglect, did not quite work out the way I was hoping...

I am no expert but I recently upgraded to. I did a 50/50 thing. I filled my new tank with new mixed water. And topped it off with the remaining water from my old fish tank.

Its like a big water change is how I see it. So far its been a week now and the tank looks great.. I lost almost nothing.. a few snails I didnt see on rocks I moved (acclimation didnt happen).. and one coral (rock rolled over it ) ...not really lost it ..just now a bunch of frags!

SO all I can say is using my old water mixed with new... The transfer happened almost flawlessly.

Completely new water I would imagine create another cycle again ..mini cycle that is...

Also the new water chemistry would be way different from you old... though great parameters would not this vast differences in chemistry affect corals? Logically I think it would...thus you would have to acclimate things back into the tank like its a new bought coral... and If you have several you will probably have to keep your corals in a rubbermaid tub with flow and heater till you slowly acclimate them all back in right? Thats my guess.

I dunno... but thought my input may help you some.

Back