Moving a 210g glass tank

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Craiz

I'm going to be purchasing a 210 gallon glass tank and stand. I'm working on a plan to make sure that on move day everything goes as good as possible. I'll be renting a U-Haul truck. When checking into this, the idea of using a furniture dolly (or two) struck me. These are flat platforms with wheels, not like a tilting hand truck. It seems like using them would reduce the effort involved with holding and manuevering a ~350lbs glass tank. Getting thru door threshold and steps will be a little challenging though. Has anyone tried this? If so, did it turn into just carrying the tank anyway?

Anyone have any other general helpful tips for moving a tank of this size? I will hopefully be able to transport all or most of the water and will have it filled again and running within a day or so. I will have the live stock stored temporarily on other established tanks. I'll watch for a cycle before moving any livestock in to the big tank.

Thanks,

Paul

I moved a 525 gallon tank into place. I had 6 guys carry it. My tank is acrylic but still weighed around 500-600lbs. (so I am told)

Last edited:
LOL, that's true. The current owner said he and a buddy carried it in, but it was tough. I'm planning to have four guys carry the tank. I think that should be manageable. We don't have to carry it very far at either location.

with that big of tank its best to have at least 6 guys. the tank can flex when carying it and break a panel or pop the centerbrace or loosen a seam and a day a week or a month or more later it will suddenly spring a leak. if you cant get that much help you might see if you can get some sort of solid platform to put it on while carrying

One thing I did when the guys hands got tired was I let go and jumped under the tank on my hands and knees. I told them to sit the tank down on my back. I was able to hold up the tank by myself an let them rest a few min. Not sure how that would work with glass?

with that big of tank its best to have at least 6 guys. the tank can flex when carying it and break a panel or pop the centerbrace or loosen a seam and a day a week or a month or more later it will suddenly spring a leak. if you cant get that much help you might see if you can get some sort of solid platform to put it on while carrying

I agree. It's worth losing two extra friends for the sake of keeping the tank whole :lol:

Appliance movers sometimes use 3" wide straps that go over their shoulders and under the tank. With 6 people (depending on how wide an area you have to fit through), it shouldn't be that bad. I used this method when I helped move a huge front window for a remodel and it worked great. Good luck.

One thing I did when the guys hands got tired was I let go and jumped under the tank on my hands and knees. I told them to sit the tank down on my back. I was able to hold up the tank by myself an let them rest a few min.

:eek: What a Hauss! :eek:

I use the furnature dollies all the time. You can get them at Home depot for about $25. Each of the larger dollies are rated at 800 lbs and the smaller ones at 600lbs. I really don't know what I would do without them. (I have about a dozen of them). They are awesome for moving tanks into, out of and around houses, offices and shops.

Back