moving a tank 2294.49 miles ?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

wallie03

Hi All, this is my first post in this forum I have been keeping reef tanks for around 12 years so i just got a job offer on the other-side of the us... I currently have 3 tanks 29g 3g and a 5.5g running packed with corals (sps,lps,shrooms, zoos) we are still in the beginning stages of moving but it looks like we will be renting a uhaul and driving 36 Hours we will be taking 2 days to make this drive..is it even possible to make it that far... i have moved tanks before but no more then a few miles... if i was to do this what would be the best way would the corals be OK without light for that long? should i use battery powered air pumps, heat packs... coolers to move it in ? we would be driving 14 hours a day and i could bring them into are hotel room at night and plug in some power heads/ heater if necessary.. i would bring 20g or so of fresh saltwater to change water out nightly from each of the buckets I'm pretty attached to all my corals and no i would not get the money there worth selling everything off .. any one have an idea if this is possible or is there any one out there that would be willing to house my corals for a week or two and then ship them to me i would be willing to pay..

Thanks Jeff

I once moved about 1000 miles. put everything in trash bags then in styrofoam boxes from lfs. Got 12 volt air pump and plugged it into the cig lighter. Used heaters at night when they could be plugged in.

jim,
i have thought about that but we will be travailing in a u haul and i wont be able to keep the buckets up front with the Sig lighter because i will have my wife and 2 dogs with me.. i have been looking into buying a deep cycle marine battery to run a converter with but even that would only last 4-5 hours max without being re charged that why i was thinking air pumps that run on d battery's

Don't use buckets use a cooler for heat retention. you can run a long wire to the back of the truck from the cab or from the battery. Plus the pump does not need to run all the time 15 minutes an hour would probably do it.

Mate,forget the first idea,i wouyld go with the coral minder idea and get em shipped same day express even if it means paying good dollars to do it.

seeing you are so attached to the corals and all.

Im going to stop by a few more LFS in my area and see if they would be willing to help me out eather hold them or help bag everything with o2... i talked to a local sw maintenece company and they would charge 500 just to house and ship them (holding them for 7 days any additional days it would be $15 per day) rip off

if it was me i would sell all livestock and start over...
no you never make the money back...

so i would advise either pay the $500 to house and ship, or let the livestock go.

but hopefully another shop will do it for less.

I would just sell everything. It will make your move much less stressful, makes the resetting of the tank easier, and protects most of your value in the event of a problem.

Even if you pay the LFS to house your coral, you still run the risk of things dying in the LFS's system(since I highly doubt they will insure your livestock), if something goes wrong in the mail(you are not protected because UPS and FEDex don't insure livestock), or if there is problem with your tank when you reset it up(and your system isn't ready for all your coral at once).

having moved from NC to WA myself, I agree with selling everything and starting over...take the money from the sale and buy corals or fish once you get to your new location.

moving is one of the top stresses that one will experience, no reason to add on to it buy wondering how your corals/fishes are doing..

what about one of those powerback up surge protectors for computers to power everything. or a deep cycle battery or two with an inverter? to keep a small heater and power head going

Back