moving in a couple weeks

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

aedeos

Future Sen
I'm moving from Alabama hill to by Western in a couple weeks, so it's not a far distance. However, I'm still nervous about it. Right now I have an 85g tank with everything, a 10g where I mix water for changes, and a 25g that I'll borrow from my parents. My plan is to set up the 10g and 25g with pumps at the new house and get water all leveled. Then I'll move the fish over into those (10g for my eel, 25g for 3 chromis, 3 damsels, and a coral beauty). Inverts will also go in the bigger tank. Once that happens, I drain and save the water from the 85 in rubbermades and salt buckets. Get those over and then empty out live rock and sand. Once I get the tank in the new house, I'll put live rock, sand, and water in the big tank, then move the eel from the 10g to the 25g. I'll immediately do a 10g water change, then bag up all the fish and start acclimating them to the main tank. While that's happening, do a water change with about half of what's left in the 25g, then it should be good to go.

How does this sound to people? Does anyone have extra tubs or buckets they might be able to lend from around the bellingham area? What are some suggestions you might make? Should I rinse the sand if I'm removing it?

Hi,

"Should I rinse the sand if I'm removing it?"

Used sand is not a good idea to re-use Unless you rinse it out immaculately.

Try either going bare bottom then adding new sand when you can afford it .
Or after you take the water all out plan on cleaning the sand really really well.

If you ever wanted to find a new home for the damsels (as they can get mean when they get bigger) now is a perfect time !!

Good luck with the inverts If an anenome is going in there watch it does not get stuck in the filter/powerheads!

Don't forget the gloves. Those bristle worms can get you numb for weeks !!!

:)

Paul

have yet to see a single brittle worm in all my work in the tank, so I'm hoping that's a good sign. My only inverts are the two sea stars. Thanks for the heads up on the sand. I'll have to talk to some locals and decide what the best plan of action is regarding that. As for the damsels, it's an aggressive tank, so I'm okay with them in there. They'll either become eel food, or have to fight for their survival anyway.

Back