Moving into a larger tank, help

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

KRMNAL1

I will be moving to a new house and tank this weekend and I have a few questions,

#1 When I remove my LS do I just scoop it out and put it in the new tank ?
#2 I have a new 6 stage RO/DI unit that I will be using but the tank I am moving out of has only been tap water, how much of my original water should I put in the new tank ?
#3 I have bubble algae bad and a bunch of apstasia, should I pop them and dip the LR in freshwater when I transfer it and hope the RO/DI h2o will keep the bubbles under control ?
#4 I am moving from a 55 into a 100 and plan to use a n Iwaki 40, will that be enough pump ?
#5 Does anyone have a magic wand I can borrow for the weekend ?

Thanks for the help

Well first thing is that when you stir that sand up you will cause problems. Most people recomend either getting new live sand, rinsing your live sand, or removing it. I guess this would also depend on how dirty your sand is...
My 125 gallon tank almost totally crashed from my live sand....

about the aptaisa I would use joes juice and kill all that you can see before setting up the new tank.. then you might need to controll them once or twice a month with joes juice. also over feeding will make them grow and spread even faster....

the bubble algea I would remove as much of it as possible by hand before setting up the new tank then controll it by using the RODI water...

I am not sure what the flow rate of the 40 is but if it is the 1200 gph one I would say fine for the return but not enuff if you are running a closed loop.....

hope this helps....

Matt

Mike,

These are only my ideas on your questions... but should give others a starting point to get you the information you're looking for.

#1. Depending on how deep your LS was... it is probably holding "nasties" from your old setup. If it was a DSB... then you will have some nasty rotten egg smelling gasses as you remove it. If it was a shallow sand bed... you will have detritus. In either case... I would suggest you rinse it very VERY well, before re-using it. Better yet... put in new sand... then just use some of the TOP of your current sand bed, to re-seed that new sand.

#2. Although its excellent that you will be using RO/DI from now on... I wouldn't want to shock my tank anymore than absolutely necessary... and would reuse at all of your old water if possible. Since you are increasing the size of your tank, you will have to add RO/DI to make up the difference anyway. The less you can shock, and change things in your move, the happier and easier your inhabitants will make the transition.

#3. I would take those rocks with the Bubble Algae & Aptasia... scrubbing them in a bucket well, removing as much of the problems as I could before I put them into their new home. I don't think a fresh water dip would hurt anything, as long as you are doing a semi-quick one.

#4. I don't know what you plan on keeping in your new tank... so can't answer you about your pump. In general, yes... an Iwaki 40 is an excellent circulation pump. However, if you are planning on more than Softies, or possibly some LPS's... you may want to look into the addition of some Seio's or similar in the tank later.

#5. Sorry, but I'm fresh out of wands. :(

Hopefully, this will give a good starting point for others to chime in here and help!

#1 When I remove my LS do I just scoop it out and put it in the new tank ?

Rinse and reuse

#2 I have a new 6 stage RO/DI unit that I will be using but the tank I am moving out of has only been tap water, how much of my original water should I put in the new tank ?

Fresh salt mix in RO, get the phosphate, etc OUT

#3 I have bubble algae bad and a bunch of apstasia, should I pop them and dip the LR in freshwater when I transfer it and hope the RO/DI h2o will keep the bubbles under control ?

If you have the time, cook and re-cure the worst rock, transfer the cleanest after turkey basted with boiling water to kill pests.

#4 I am moving from a 55 into a 100 and plan to use a n Iwaki 40, will that be enough pump ?

Iwaki 40s pump a LOT of water, should be fine. That is what I am running.

#5 Does anyone have a magic wand I can borrow for the weekend ?

Yes, but my wife shoved it where the sun don't shine due to attempted missapplication. Good luck on the move, it is not fun. I too will be upgrading in a big move in a couple weeks.

I just used a small portion of my old sand and added all new sand half dead, and half live.

I went from a 90 to a 210 and i used about 50 gallons of my old water to get the cycle going.

That one i really do not have experience in. I know that you can kill apstasia by shooting a syrienge of hot thick kalk mix in its mouth and that should kill the apstasia.

Depends what you want to keep. I think that should be more than enough flow for SPS and LPS.

Yeah i got your magic wand.....right here buddy! j/k

Thanks for the tips guys :exclaim: I have a huge project on my hands between moving to another house and moving into a bigger tank

Shallowreef, uh.....I don't want any part of your magic wand pal :razz::razz:

#2. Although its excellent that you will be using RO/DI from now on... I wouldn't want to shock my tank anymore than absolutely necessary... and would reuse at all of your old water if possible.

if you decide to go with your old water, get the water out first before you start stirring around in the sand..if you try to take the sand out first, you will be getting all the detritus in your water!!!

Not much benefit from using the old water. Very little bacteria is in the water column. It will be on the rocks, sand, etc. As long as your parameters are close and you acclimate I would not bother.

Back