Moving lighting system?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Dave 777

Stingray guy
Does anyone know if there exists a moving lighting system that would simulate and dusk till dawn effect? I have seen the ones that go back and forth every 6 minutes but I want to simulate a whole day. thanks.

That light goes up and down. I would like a light to travel 12' across my fish room to simulate the sunrise and sunset. Thanks though.

I saw that thread, but again it goes back and forth every 6 minutes or so. Is there a super slow motor you can get that would roll down the track for 12 hours? thanks again.

That light goes up and down. I would like a light to travel 12' across my fish room to simulate the sunrise and sunset. Thanks though.

Some more details about what your trying to accomplish would help. I'm sure there is a simple solution.
FWIW The tank really gets no benefit from dusk to dawn effects and side to side effects are not real pleasing to the eye.

Don

Dave, do you want to take a single pendant and walk it slowly across the tank over the course of the light cycle and then travel back after the light goes off? Or will it be more complicated than that?

Hobby robotic components is how I was considering implementing a task like what I describe above. The motive device would be a continuous rotation servo, which can be made to creep at a very slow rate or travel fast. Motion control (speed, direction) would be by a microprocessor. You'd also need a user interface, a real time clock input, and may need sensors to determine travel limits. Its not a trivial project.

true..

Like DonW said, my light goes back and forth moving on a servo. Its irritating when placing frags in tank or working in tank and to eye at times. It is adjustable to timing at each end. I set mine for a minute and then they move slowly towards other side. If someone made a circular rail or chain system they could go around in a loop conituiously on a servo. There are different speeds of servos. I am not sure where someone could buy one of these. I am sure it can be made. Maybe having two or three lite rails at once?
I wish you good luck,
Ed:)

Dave, do you want to take a single pendant and walk it slowly across the tank over the course of the light cycle and then travel back after the light goes off?

piercho, that is exactly what I want.

Have you seen the Sfiligoi ACLS Dimming system? It simulates sunrise/sunset by actually dimming the MH bulbs. Aquarium Obsessed sells them.

Dave, You want to have the light travel 12 feet across how much room do you have front to back?

Dave, You want to have the light travel 12 feet across how much room do you have front to back?

12ft, I would do the same if I had to light a tank that long. You can easily build a rack type unit. Tacoma screw has 12ft sections of allthread. Connect it to a variable speed motor with limit switches and your set.

Don

I have my new fish room. It is 22x12. I have 2 large tanks and I thought it would be cool to have the room simulate the sun. I like the SCLS timer/dimmer. Can't find a price on any website though? Keep the ideas coming.

Last edited:
Back