moving lights

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

simson6

Hello Anthony and others,

When i wa s at the marineevent in the netherlands anthony spoke about a moving 400w hqi from the one side of the aquarium to the other.
I want to realise this in my own aquarium, but i want to gather first some information about how to do this and with wath for aparature i need.
Can you all give me some tips, links to projects of persons who already 've this in their aqua. My aqua is 125/80/75 (lxdxh)in cm
Is one hqi enough??? how long must the rail be???? My opinion is not to take 120, but around 60 cm.

Thanks again Anthony for the really impressive presentation in the Netherlands and thank you all for the reactions.

gr

Bart

Hello Anthony and others,

When i wa s at the marineevent in the netherlands anthony spoke about a moving 400w hqi from the one side of the aquarium to the other.
I want to realise this in my own aquarium, but i want to gather first some information about how to do this and with wath for aparature i need.
Can you all give me some tips, links to projects of persons who already 've this in their aqua. My aqua is 125/80/75 (lxdxh)in cm
Is one hqi enough??? how long must the rail be???? My opinion is not to take 120, but around 60 cm.

Thanks again Anthony for the really impressive presentation in the Netherlands and thank you all for the reactions.

gr

Bart

They are called light movers. I dont really see a benefit other than the electricity and equipment cost. Most if not all hydroponics shop cary these units at a fair price. I will be putting on in my hood in an attemp to save on power and cut back on equipment.

Don

Do you know a shop who sells it. Maybe international, because of shipping to belgium :)
Anthony told us that the benefit for the corals is that they constanly ge the light from a different angle. also from under...

gr

Bart
They are called light movers. I dont really see a benefit other than the electricity and equipment cost. Most if not all hydroponics shop cary these units at a fair price. I will be putting on in my hood in an attemp to save on power and cut back on equipment.

Don

Do you know a shop who sells it. Maybe international, because of shipping to belgium :)
Anthony told us that the benefit for the corals is that they constanly ge the light from a different angle. also from under...

gr

Bart

I'd just search google. I know nothing about international shopping. Personally I would jut build one with a screw drive.

Don

I also think this is the best option.
There where some guys who suggested to use a motor from the wipers of a car. You know, when it rains. Sorry but i don't know the right word in english.:oops:

I've already a litle electric motor on 12v and uses 3w
I think the transition between the moter and lamp or rail wil be the most difficult.

Anybody some ideas an maybe photo's

Donw, thnx for your reactions.

gr

Bart

I'd just search google. I know nothing about international shopping. Personally I would jut build one with a screw drive.

Don

I also think this is the best option.
There where some guys who suggested to use a motor from the wipers of a car. You know, when it rains. Sorry but i don't know the right word in english.:oops:

I've already a litle electric motor on 12v and uses 3w
I think the transition between the moter and lamp or rail wil be the most difficult.

Anybody some ideas an maybe photo's

Donw, thnx for your reactions.

gr

Bart

All you need is a screw drive much like a cnc machine. Do you have a canopy over the tank?

Don

Here this may help picture a light instead of a router. This is just my cnc machine but you can get the idea. Two rods and one screw is all that is needed. Probably a $50 project.

My aqua is closed if that is what you mean. I will take a photo.
I've never seen a screw drive, but it seems verry easy, where do the use them for?
gr

bart

Alot of how you would do this would be based on your skills and tools. Do you have woodworking tools (routers tablesaw etc....)?

Don

Thanks for the kind words, Bart. And no worries... as advised above, you can find moving light tracks and motors from hydroponics places and especially from greenhouse suppliers. There are so many greenhouses and suppliers in EU... especially Holland and the UK. Do some google searching for "greenhouse supplies/prices" etc in EU search engines.

with kind regards,

Anthony

Back