Moving on Up. The 55 -> 100g Move

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Loppnessmonsta

So in 1 day I will be moving form my 55g to a 100g. I will Post pics along the way but first some tips would be nice. This is what I have planned so far.

Move All Water Sand Fish Rock and Inverts to tubs.

Place New Tank Where Old Tank Was

Put Sand And Water

Mix 45g of Salt Water Mix

Aquascape with Some new Live Rock Then Add Rest of Water

Adjust Temp and PH Calcium Magnisium Salinity Add Some Trace Elements

Finally Run Dripps to all tubs

1st moving Rocks With Corals (Torch Open Brain Large Pom Pom Xenia FrogSpawn and a couple sps and my Big Bright Green Duncan)

Then Adding My 4 Clowns 1 blenny 1 Blue Tang 1 horseshoe crab 5 Turbo Snails

Wait a Couple Hours More (Still with a drip) Then Add My 2 Bubbletip Anemones

Finally Wait and Hope Nothing Dies and That My Tank Cycles

New Wet Dry Filter

Going To Run My Old Uncleaned Canister Filter For A While.

Only Adding 130w more of lights but the tank is 1" shorter but way longer

Current tank 48" Long New Tank 78" Long

pre make the extra salt water. save as much form the old tank as possible. if possible make the new salt water a few days ahead in a bucket or w/e with a heater, and toss a piece of LR in there to try and jump start the bacteria growth inside the new salt water.

I finished the move but didnt take any pictures because it went so fast!!!! I will take some soon.

I also painted a wood stand white and made a huge appearance difference

I added 150 pounds of live rock that had a lot of purple coraline and xenia on it (some 1$lbs some $2 a pound!!!).
50lbs of F-Pink live sand
10 lbs of crushed coral (Large Chunks). I had some large pieces of dead coral covered in coraline so I crushed it up with a hammer) Works Amazing in the PH KH Department

I lost 2 FP Clowns and 2 pieces of sps due to it not immediately cycling. I bought some stability bacteria and stopped all of my equipment except for the return pump. All the levels dropped in 3-4 days and Im up and running good again.

I stopped running a lot of carbon because this system doesn't seem to need it???
I only run it with about 4 table spoons of GAC and 4 table spoons of Phosban once a week. I think the bioballs are doing a really good job in the sump because I have a crappy seaclone skimmer. Im doing a 10% water change every 3 weeks and I think that its perfect for this system.

Im now running 4 54w t5's (2day 2actinics) and 2 65w 50/50 power compacts on a 18 in deep tank.

Im also building a 15g refugium with a DSP 6 in, Large Crushed Coral, Cheato, Xenia and a 54w power compact day bulb

I also added a 1/10 jbj chiller. It easily holds @ 78 degrees. Before I got the chiller the 100g tank was jumping from 76-85 degrees!!! The heater only runs @ night 3 times for 30 minutes.

Last edited:
Back