moving shrooms

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

MarineTeng

Reef Padawan
i got some unwanted shrooms and want tips on moving them, i'd like to keep as much of my rock as possible, i've heard of ice cubing the anemone foot, would this work with shrooms as they're anemone's also, worse comes to worse, i'll chisel a bit of rock and get all the mushroom out

The chisel is probably your best bet. Chip just under the shroom. With even a hint of flesh left behind, they'll be back... so get it all.

you could send me the rock with the shrooms you want removed, then you won't have to worry about the shrooms anymore:):)j/k

lol, you're the third... i'm actually selling them and i'm not giving the rock i just bought away, if you want to drive a florida ric up here though i'll trade ya:lol:

May I ask why you don't want shrooms? Also, you mention that they are an anemone....or maybe I misunderstood. I was under the impression that they are a coral. So far, I've been lucky in that the many shrooms I have, which started as just a few, are all located on one rock. If I decide to relocate them, I only have to move one rock and it's a thin, long rock so if I want to remove part of them, the rock will be easy to break. One thing that's interested me lately, as they are splitting and spreading, those that are growing on the lower side of the rock, away from the light, are showing an almost white coloring which is kind of cool.

well they are harmless as long as they keep their distance, i had a bleached sps that recovered under pc from almost all white, i thought it was dead for the longest time then made a huge turn around

MT, consider we swap some rock? I could trade you rock with no shrooms for the one with the shrooms I'm buying. Do not really want any chopped up mushrooms unless am cooking dinner. Would be a lot easier on you and the critters. I have a LOT of tank cured live rock with no parasites. Been in my reef for years. Think on it for a couple weeks.

lol, but...i like my rock... ummm perhaps seriously, though you have no idea how durable they are, aside from that i'll probably be chipping them off rather then slicing them, if i slice them off, it's twice as many for you, people often times have trouble getting rid of them, they're that durable

Yes, but then I have the problem of mounting them back onto a new rock. And if that durable, how could you be sure your rock isn't perpetually infested with polyps? Think it over, I would much prefer a rock established with shrooms over a handfull of loose critters to deal with.

If you're able to chip or carve away a small amount of the rock that they're attached to, it'll get rid of them AND leave a small amount of rubble attached to them which will make them quite easy for re-attaching them for someone else. They're not at all difficult to attach that way. You can use super-glue gel and glue the rubble that they're already attached to to your rock.

well after all the reading i still don't get how they spread everywhere.
One of my hairy mushrooms didn't split for 2 years until i put a little bit of xenia close to it and then it split into two and that's it ... the two of them have never split.
I know i can cut them like pizza but that's just to cruel :p.
I also have some green mushrooms and again... they have never split.... i must have bad luck :p.

spongebob lover said:
well after all the reading i still don't get how they spread everywhere.
One of my hairy mushrooms didn't split for 2 years until i put a little bit of xenia close to it and then it split into two and that's it ... the two of them have never split.
I know i can cut them like pizza but that's just to cruel :p.
I also have some green mushrooms and again... they have never split.... i must have bad luck :p.

I've never considered splitting mushrooms to be a cruel thing, it makes friends and clones for them to hang out with :D ... and then you can have a beautiful colony. We have great luck with toothpicking, and once a shroom has been sliced off a rock to be relocated the existing flesh turns into another lovely mushroom. I harvest and slice off shroom frags to offer all my friends every couple of months.

Lately, we have some really LARGE lovely ones... I only wish my rose colored and purple shrooms would grow as large as my orange and green speckled ones.

Back