Moving to Tacoma soon, anyone in the area?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

gfk

Hello everyone.

I am relocating to Tacoma for work, coming from northern CA.

I am selling my drilled 29 gallon setup, and hope to set something up here in the near future.

anyone live in the area? I won't know anyone and wouldn't mind getting to know people who are my age.

I'm 25 years old, enjoy snowboarding, sports of all kinds, and of course reefing.

I live in the North end of Seattle but there are loads of Southenders on this board. Stick around. You'll find them. Welcome to the sunny Pacific Northwest. :)

What part of Cali. are you coming from?

I am from NorCal too, but I don't hang out with that Tacoma crowd. They are mean. And Nasty. And Drunk. Like Mike there, he's definitely drunk. You can tel by the wayhe writes. :eek:

I am from a town called Benicia, lived there for 18 years then went to Chico State for 5 years. Went back to Benicia for about 2 years and now i'm up here for work.

found a shared rental house tonight with some people, don't think i'll be getting a tank together too soon, maybe a nano cube in my room or something i hope.

Benicia?
I have a buddy that still lives there.
At least we know you can drive on hills :)

I used to live in Palo Alta & Santa Clara, but i move here back when cars had horses pulling them :)

Benicia is a nice town. I lived across the water in Martinez until two years ago when I moved back up here and started this crazy hobby

I'm in South Hill Puyallup and like drinking beer and talking reef tanks. Just be sure I am the first person you meet from ReefFrontiers, otherwise everyone will tell you what an ace-hole I am and that you should avoid me like the plague. LOL

Hello everyone.

I am relocating to Tacoma for work, coming from northern CA.

I am selling my drilled 29 gallon setup, and hope to set something up here in the near future.

anyone live in the area? I won't know anyone and wouldn't mind getting to know people who are my age.

I'm 25 years old, enjoy snowboarding, sports of all kinds, and of course reefing.

Im older im 32 dude...but I live by the Dome...

the first post has a decent local shop listed Indoor Reef.

Petco Lakewood (south tacoma) has a Fish manager that knows what they are doing.... and for a petco its the most decent saltwater one.

Wild Side Pets 0n Canyon Road near southhill has nice staff and ok saltwater stuff.

Avoid one place. Aquarium paradise. Talk about price gouge ...very bad price gouges.

Welcome to the land of never ending clouds and sprinkles.

i'm comin up saturday for good, sold all my reef stuff but a select few items like a phosban reactor and an Autopoff system so i'll hit you guys up and try and pawn my stuff off soon :D

It took you only 5 years to get through Chico State? I visited there a few times many years ago.... with the scenery there, I would STILL be working on a BA. What a place :)

Welcome to WA, specifically what we call the Southend. Lots of guys get together and talk reefs, pretty regularly. I would also suggest a trip only slightly north to Barrier Reef aq. Pretty well agreed upon as the eminent shop in the Seattle area. Rgds, Dan

Welcome to the area! I lived in Southern Cal for a few years and am glad to be back in my home State. Hope you like the rain! I live 30min out of Tacoma.

Benicia eh? I used to cross that bridge all the time going to All About Fish for their Sunday sales.

Welcome to RF and the NorthWest.

Stores

Here is some stores I have visited and my thoughts since you are new to the area.

1. Indoor Reef: Decent Saltwater selection, basic supplies, Nice Rocks and decent price too. They do 50% trade in credit value of your livestock. And they have clean up crews on hand and in a lot of them. (tacoma Local)

http://www.indooreef.com/ is there site.

(2. Barrier Reef: A bit far from Tacoma but worth the trip. They have a awsome frag tank. They carry some very nice variety of corals from soft to sps. They also carry some good food and nice quality plankton.(renton wa)

http://www.barrierreefaquariums.com is there website

3. Midway Pets: They are not very good on the frags or fish department. But they are pretty good on the hardware side of things. Tanks and equipment is cheap there (some not so cheap so do some homework first).
But I have found more tanks,filtration,food, all types of lights, sumps there at a low price..lower than most. They aslo have some nice rocks and a good price. Google Midway Tropical Fish and Pets.
(Des-Moines area)

4. Wild Side pets: East Tacomaish and have some salt stuff. I like the store cause they carry some supplies and foods that I cant find at indoor or petco. Live foods. Unique store with some very odd pets outside of salt spectrum to. http://www.thewildsidepetswa.com/

5. Petco South Tacoma: Its in Lakewood Wa and has the only staff that knows and loves saltwater in the metro area. Avoid SouthHill Petco like the plague...poor care there and a manager that knows jack about the pets.

6. Tacoma Tropical Fish and Pet: Nice owner. Small store.. Small selection. But I get my Ro/DI water there for 1 buck a gallon. He is also offering a way to order stuff through his vendors at a low price through his site... #1 we can avoid shipping and get a better price through him. http://www.tacomapet.com/

PS thats about it for now

Hopefully this gives you some "places of interest" to visit after you settle in.

Last edited:
Benicia eh? I used to cross that bridge all the time going to All About Fish for their Sunday sales.

Welcome to RF and the NorthWest.

that place drove me nuts, not a very good coral selection and really expensive.

I'm kickin around the idea of starting a nano cube siiiiiiiiigh

anyone know where they sell them around here or how to find one in the classifieds on here?

Back