mp40 stopped working

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Kingumar

I woke up this morning and noticed my vortech mp40 wasn't working. I unplugged it and pluged it back in, it started flashing different colors.
I did it again and this time it started to move the whole wet side slowly rather then the fan inside.
repeated the same thing a couple of times and faced the same problem, sometimes it just flashes different colors, then it moves the whole wet side a little and starts flashing again.
i changed the pump speed last night so maybe that had something to do with it?

I bought it new from another member 3 months ago. He said he opened it but never used it. Any info on if there is still a warranty on it?

It sounds as though you may not have the spacing correct. Do you have the spacer set for the right thickness of your glass? Are you using the black rubber cusion as well? The flashing of the lights is telling you a code. What are the colors and duration of the code?

I am starting to get a bit bummed here. I am reading an awful lot of complaints about these failing. I am starting to regret buying mine.

Don't be bummed. I've got two and haven't had any real trouble with them, although I did have to adjust the spacing on mine when I moved from a 1/2" acrylic tank to a tank with 1/2" glass. The wet side on my pumps would spin in slow circles when running at high speeds. I simply moved up to the next higher thickness to get the magnets closer together. I suspect that you need to set the thickness, setup the pump, and then run the disconnect calibration. Should work fine after that.

Mike

This happened to me. It sounds like the ceramic bearing went bad on yours. All you have to do is email/call their support department with your serial number located on the driver. They will send you a new updated wetside and ask you to return the defective wetside. It's not an uncommon problem, but with the quality of support provided, it's not such a bad situation.

This happened to me. It sounds like the ceramic bearing went bad on yours. All you have to do is email/call their support department with your serial number located on the driver. They will send you a new updated wetside and ask you to return the defective wetside. It's not an uncommon problem, but with the quality of support provided, it's not such a bad situation.

I don't think it would be a bearing issue if the whole wet side is turning, rather than just the impeller. I think it is just the spacing. Take the spacing down just one notch to get the magnets closer together, just like Mike did. Shouldn't be a problem after that.

if the bearing is stuck the whole wetside will move. i had this happen to me 2 times before i got rid of my mp40. they just sent me out new ones everytime.

Oh I think I know what you mean...so you are saying if the bearing on the wetside is stuck, in effect the impeller is one with the housing, the whole wet side will turn? I guess that makes sense. I just doubt that is the case...even if it is, would you not be able to un-stick it by disassembling the wet side and going through it?

Nope, opening it up won't fix it. Contact their support. Trust me. Happened to both my mp20's and lot's of folks will give you that same story. When mine failed, they would turn slow and stop, turn a bit more and stop, then you get the driver light flashing error.

Don't be bummed. I've got two and haven't had any real trouble with them, although I did have to adjust the spacing on mine when I moved from a 1/2" acrylic tank to a tank with 1/2" glass. The wet side on my pumps would spin in slow circles when running at high speeds. I simply moved up to the next higher thickness to get the magnets closer together. I suspect that you need to set the thickness, setup the pump, and then run the disconnect calibration. Should work fine after that.

Mike

What did you have to change when you went from acrylic to glass? Maybe I have something set up wrong on mine. It seems to perform well but it is loud....and I mean LOUD. Like....louder than my skimmer...

If it's loud it could be a couple things; misalligned or the magnet is rubbing against the back cover. Mine was also really loud when the bearings went and it was because the magnet was rubbing on the cover and it would have worn through it if I hadn't shut it off. First thing I would do is shut it off. Open the back cover of the wetside assembly and if you see any signs wearing, don't use it. If there is no wearing and it just won't quiet down and you are sure it is alligned corectly, I would still not use it. Not worth damaging the motor. Did you contact support yet? They are really good at replacing the parts quickly. That is the positive side of it.

What did you have to change when you went from acrylic to glass? Maybe I have something set up wrong on mine. It seems to perform well but it is loud....and I mean LOUD. Like....louder than my skimmer...

I didn't change any of the parts, I simply set the spacing to the next notch to bring the two pieces closer together. My pumps aren't any louder than they've ever been and the fact that yours are leads me to believe that you're experiencing a bearing failure. I'd contact EcoTech. As others have said, they're pretty good with their customer support. If your wet sides are going bad I'll bet you get two new ones for little or nothing. I believe there is also a thread on Reef Central about replacing the bearing in these things with ABEC 5 ceramics. I seem to recall that a set of these is about $30 and should give a lifetime of service. Check out that thread in the DIY section.

Mike

Just checked out that thread on RC. The bearing mod is for the dry side if anyone is interested. It will also most likley void any warranty you have. But it will work if you have no warranty and your only option is purchasing a new dry side.

error codes red-pump disconnect error, red/orange-component in motor has gone bad, red/yellow-pump has over heated, red/green-stall error, red/white- wireless upgrade error, solid red-upgrade error, very fast flashing red, no led at all when powered up, or random colors all of the earlier cokes represent actual error codes programmed into the driver. The error above however, reflects that some damage to the pump has occurred proventing it from functioning properly. resolution contact ecor tech marine to speak with a service representative. 800 785-0338 or 610 954-8480 Hope this was helpful, I just had problems with my wet side.

Back