• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Reef Frontiers and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Mr Gone's filters

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

JPG@CFI

Precision Fabricator
I have been working on a custom filter set-up for Shawn. Get healin', bro!

I have done some polishing work on his dads tank, ya, they didn't think I could get in that tank, but I showed them!

Got the easy part done, now for the refugium.....

9-28-10002.jpg

The water tank for top offs, and the skimmer/pump sump.
9-28-10003.jpg

Probe holder
9-28-10008.jpg

Where the main sump will live
9-28-10007.jpg

Water tank's location

Enjoy, and check back for more pic's, Jason

Amazing Jason, Thank you so much for all the help!

Coincidental timing too! My Dad and I were running over to Barrier just before they closed tonight and was talking to Cy about this project a bit. Looks like we should have went back to his office!

Finished!

We fabed up the filter sock/refugium and got it fitted into the space. Shawn's cabinet is tight, so I had to assemble the plumbing to see how much room was left over. We had 25" left, so guess how long it was! I got ahold of 4 shorty 1.5" bulkheads, to save space, and I then ran my 1.5" MPT tap into them to make the tapered threads deeper into the bulkhead. This saved about 1" total. One more inch of refugium, right?!

The last pic is the filter in it's final spot! Only 4.5" of plumbing between the first stage, and the second stage.

Enjoy! Jason

Did the water tank become a sump or is the last picture just rotated?

Please post a picture when water is flowing as it looks very interesting.

That looks awesome Jason, it really is above and beyond! Thank you so much for all the work you've done. I haven't seen it yet, I still don't have enough strength/motion in my arms to drive (ugh) but I'm going to try to find a ride in today, I'm dying to see what they look like.

TheKraken, I will definitely take pics for sure! I don't think the door guy has finished yet, last I heard he was having trouble finding matching material for the edges.

Jason built three containers total, the first is the fresh water storage for the auto top off, it is separate of the other two which are connected to make a two-piece sump because of space restrictions with how the stand was designed/setup. The refugium tank goes in the middle. Water enters through the left where Jason built the filter sock holders then runs through the refugium and down to the next level which connects to the second sump. The first compartment in that tank is for the protein skimmer and media reactors, then into the return pump compartment.

So the water tank is mounted elevated in the stand or above the tank?

My 180 stand has a sump door in the side of the stand to make it possible to get the sump in. All my stands from now on are going to have this feature!

since this tank is in an office, you will LOVE the auto top off..beats hauling buckets in and dumpiing water...believe me...i have a 40g in my office and haul RO buckets every 5 days..gets old fast.

ALoha Jason.....I have a project that I would like to be made for me for the MAX confrence......I need a large 72"X24" (360 degree viewing...no backing) tank made but I want dividers glued into the tank and on each side there will be 24" wide x12 deep" cubicals (total 6 cubicals in tank) so I can display Endemic Hawaiian fish at the Event

Im open to ideas though perhaps instead of a really large tank multiple smaller tanks (uniquariums) will do....lmk if you can do this....mahalo and aloha Les @ WPH

Thanks for the pictures as the sump makes more sense now. Are you going for sump lids to keep noise down or just lots of ventilation?

TheKraken, I will definitely take pics for sure! I don't think the door guy has finished yet, last I heard he was having trouble finding matching material for the edges.

It didn't cross my mind. I think we'll see how it goes without them and give Jason a call if we need them. Since the tank itself is covered I think it would be best to try running without them.

I'm really looking forward to seeing what your reef skills can do with this set up, Shawn. I thought you'd have R/O water up to the OFB by now! Oh, ya, I need to drop by your custom modified lathe turned bulkheads off to you. JPG

I'm really looking forward to seeing what your reef skills can do with this set up, Shawn. I thought you'd have R/O water up to the OFB by now! Oh, ya, I need to drop by your custom modified lathe turned bulkheads off to you. JPG
Thanks Jason!

I've been wanting to but I wasn't sure if you had finished the polishing stuff inside the tank (plus I haven't been to the office). I also need to get going on ordering lights for him, luckily they aren't terribly critical for the first part.

I'm going to go in tomorrow morning and should be there around 10-1pm. The whole broken bones healing thing is starting to get old, I still can't do very much :( I had my dad put the skimmer and return pump in for the pics.

It didn't cross my mind. I think we'll see how it goes without them and give Jason a call if we need them. Since the tank itself is covered I think it would be best to try running without them.

I guess the rate of evaporation will tell you if you need covers.

So has Jason finally figured out a bulkhead that does not suck? Pics or it did not happen.

Kraken,

I have had the bulkhead issue figured out long ago. The industry is not making available bulkheads that are slip on the flange side(that I like). Lots of junk out there. I have used most all the manufactures, and I have ones that I am comfortable with. So, what to do? Easy, have your machinist friend chuck the bulkhead you like in his lathe and convert a threaded BH into a slip one. This way, Shawn can press fit a 1.5" PVC pipe into the BH and make the filter quiet. Kinda nice, being the tank is in a Real Estate office. I will post pictures of the bulkheads when they are finished just for you!
Jason

I too am looking for the perfect bulkhead that can be completely disassembled, never leaks and is near free...

The best I have produced to date involves skipping the PVC section where the threads are tapered and visiting the gray conduit section where the thread are straight.

Think like this:

http://www.truetex.com/bulkhead.htm

I am working in 1" PVC so it is possible to hose clamp a pipe to the stub.

My next iteration involves the 1.24" barbed adapters back in the PVC section (gray). So I have a 1.25 Slip for the Durso, A 1.25" make thread, gasket, 1.25" female tread, 1.25" hose barb.

There are not as many threads as I would like, but the system is great and allows me to use the larger standpipe for the durso with no reduction etc.

I wasn't originally going to but decided to give the Oceans Motions a shot on this tank because it seems to fit well (I bought it to use on my next reef tank but I'm not sure if I want to drill a closed loop into it).
67218_516073091221_299000042_595138_6172850_n.jpg

Started filling the tank, it's been about 9 hours so far and we left it going over night. We also plumbed the two extra holes Jason drilled for us on this side of the tank. I was having trouble finding a 90* elbow with a 1" male thread and 3/4" barb in any of the stores so I had to piece it together.
37142_516105815641_299000042_596464_2813202_n.jpg

This wasn't part of the original design, but the Phosban 550 reactor fits perfectly between the two sumps. We're probably going to order a second one for running carbon.
69414_516073350701_299000042_595142_1920479_n.jpg

We finished the overflow plumbing and almost have the return plumbing done. I'm going to find a way to mount the RO/DI machine in the utility room and run a line over to the tank. I'm waiting to hear back on the LEDs for a final price to get the ball rolling on them. Once the plumbing is done I'll get all the wiring done and tidied up. Still need to figure out a refugium light and pump/plumbing for the media reactors.

Good thing its the weekend :D trying out different aquascapes. Ultimately got frustrated and decided we'll just figure it out as we go along adding rocks to the tank.
72146_516071279851_299000042_595077_2539960_n.jpg

Back