MrGone's fish tank room

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

MrGone

:)
I never thought it would happen but I've started running out of room for corals in my 150 gallon! Well that combined with the fact equipment was starting to infringe on the family room my Dad and I decided it was time to build a fish tank room :) It's been months in the making but we've finally started to make progress the past few weeks and hope to have it running in the next few.

After so much planning it was finally time to start building :) (10/24/2010)
71899_516272197211_299000042_600603_3656894_n.jpg

Rolling up the carpet (10/27/2010)
69486_516340989351_299000042_602191_1886805_n.jpg

Laying out the stand (10/31/2010)
75093_516464102631_299000042_605569_3328344_n.jpg

Getting the plywood for the stand (and some more 2x4's) (11/2/2010)
75709_516546831841_299000042_607934_2873046_n.jpg

It's taking shape! (11/7/2010)
74837_516652021041_299000042_610165_1713234_n.jpg

72255_516652041001_299000042_610166_7495948_n.jpg

76930_516840772781_299000042_614123_292507_n.jpg

Paint and sealed, holes drilled, everything fits tight as a glove! (11/14/2010)
149597_516840792741_299000042_614124_27746_n.jpg

The display tanks are two 125g All Glass Aquarium Reef Ready, a 210g AGA Reef Ready (from Thatguy559) and a 75g AGA (from tamarindthai). The sumps mainly consist of Petco's dollar a gallon sale :D (three 40 breeders and two 55 gallons). On the far left is the old sump from my Dad's 255g he has at his office, the dimensions worked for the stand and it offers some mechanical filtration if needed. On the far right is a sump I bought from Cy at Barrier reef and am using as a refugium. The water will flow in from the left and the right, the corner tank is the return portion where the pumps will sit. The empty area to the far right will house the RO/DI machine and storage.

The refugium sump has three 1.5" bulkheads on it, two of them will go to each 55 gallon tank and the third will go straight to the return area. That way for water changes I can fill up and turn off the 55 gallon tanks, then drain them, mix new water in them then re hook them up to the system again. When I first bought the refugium tank I was wondering what am I ever going to use three bulk heads on this thing for but it works perfectly with this design.

When this started all I wanted was a single glass aquarium for my SPS and I bought the 125g RR so I could take nice pictures again and somehow it turned into what you see here.

I still need to make stands for the 40 breeders and drill them along with the 55g's. I also need to plumb the whole thing and run the dedicated circuits (and build my power panel). I also need to tap the pipe that runs inside the right wall for my RO/DI water supply and plumb some drains (RO exhaust to the yard, tank water change to the gutter). Then my plan is to do some DIY Lumen Bright 3 style reflectors. Eventually I would like to skin the stands with cherry cabinetry and need to tile the floor but right now I'm more focused on getting the system running :badgrin:

Looking great so far MrGone!
I like the first picture, you never know what people are up to when you see them buying all that lumber in the depots!
Looks like you sprayed the stand. What gun did you use and paint? I think I read another thread from you on the paint last week. What did you end up using?

We're gonna tag along with this one to see how it turns out. This sounds pretty amazing (in Becca's words). Can't wait to see how it looks up and running. We are going to be house shopping in the next year or two and the fish tank has now become a required aspect of said new house :D. My how things change in less than a year in this hobby :).

Looking great so far MrGone!
I like the first picture, you never know what people are up to when you see them buying all that lumber in the depots!
Looks like you sprayed the stand. What gun did you use and paint? I think I read another thread from you on the paint last week. What did you end up using?

We ended up using regular paint after bouncing around a few ideas. We decided to go with white under so it would be easier to see things once doors are on and such. We used BEHR Premium Plus Interior/Exterior high gloss enamel to paint and used an acrylic sealant as ReturnofSid recommended to seal all the cracks between the stand and the wall and the seems between the boards.

We used a Husky HVLP spray gun my dad bought a few years ago to paint the doors in his house but I think next time it might be better just to brush it on.

Nice!! It's like you very own LFS in your house!! :D Looking forward to seeing it all setup :)

I was a little afraid of so many tanks because I felt like it would detract from the whole or be a bit overwhelming, plus I like being able to look from the sides but we'll see how it looks when its done. I'm pretty happy with the results so far and there is a lot of flexibility with the sump setup.

Right now I'm having a hard time trying to decide if I should use the 210 for my SPS tank or use it as an angel tank and spread the corals out between the two 125's?

Looks great Mr.gone followingf along with the room build
Thanks! :cool:

We're gonna tag along with this one to see how it turns out. This sounds pretty amazing (in Becca's words). Can't wait to see how it looks up and running. We are going to be house shopping in the next year or two and the fish tank has now become a required aspect of said new house :D. My how things change in less than a year in this hobby :).
Thank you and I certainly hear that! :) I started with a 10 gallon in college, and a $18 clown fish seemed prohibitively expensive!

I was a little afraid of so many tanks because I felt like it would detract from the whole or be a bit overwhelming, plus I like being able to look from the sides but we'll see how it looks when its done. I'm pretty happy with the results so far and there is a lot of flexibility with the sump setup.

Right now I'm having a hard time trying to decide if I should use the 210 for my SPS tank or use it as an angel tank and spread the corals out between the two 125's?

Man, that's a toughy! I have a hard time sometimes trying to decide on what to do with one tank, much less all that you have! :shock: You have so many options, but if it were me, I'd probably save the biggest tank for the angels to give them all the space they can get. :)

This looks really awesome and i can't wait to see this rooms progression! Just wondering, is this going to be almost like a little business or strictly your collections??

- Luke

Man, that's a toughy! I have a hard time sometimes trying to decide on what to do with one tank, much less all that you have! :shock: You have so many options, but if it were me, I'd probably save the biggest tank for the angels to give them all the space they can get. :)

That is what I am thinking, I think the angels would like the room to swim plus it will be easier to tinker with the 125gs for fragging and such. It will take a long time to fill in all these tanks, I don't have nearly enough rock, I'm sure a few will look very empty for quite a while!

This looks really awesome and i can't wait to see this rooms progression! Just wondering, is this going to be almost like a little business or strictly your collections??

- Luke
Hey Luke, Thanks!
No this is just a hobby (gone crazy). Although part of the reason for building it so big is to help support my Dad's tank at his office if needed. It just kind of worked out this way with the tanks (but now I owe my friend a 125g RR, I think he might use a 180g RR in the setup he is building).

Last edited:
Sweet...I would love to have the room to do this. I will just have to live vicariously thru you for the meantime.
Keep the pics and progress reports coming!:)

That is what I am thinking, I think the angels would like the room to swim plus it will be easier to tinker with the 125gs for fragging and such. It will take a long time to fill in all these tanks, I don't have nearly enough rock, I'm sure a few will look very empty for quite a while!

Hey Luke, Thanks!
No this is just a hobby (gone crazy). Although part of the reason for building it so big is to help support my Dad's tank at his office if needed. It just kind of worked out this way with the tanks (but now I owe my friend a 125g RR, I think he might use a 180g RR in the setup he is building).

Wow this is an awesome setup! It's also really cool that you are doing this with your dad. My dad hasn't learned the ins and outs of reefing but hes just waiting on the fact that i will have to go to college and the tank will be his when its all grown out..
Best of Luck- Luke

Arent you going to need a few more tanks for growing planckton, rotifers and brine shrimp? Are you going to have any controllers or an automated or plumbed in water change system? or are the all going to run together?

Thanks guys!

psb, I don't know enough about that stuff :(

Right now I have a Reef Keeper Lite on my 150 gallon, I will probably need to upgrade to the Elite for this system. The two 55 gallons will be used for water changes and it will be fairly automated except for opening and closing a valve (unless I find a solenoid that works) and having to add salt.

I picked up the Vertex Alpha 300 from Barrier Reef's sale today
149895_516949130631_299000042_615461_1430944_n.jpg

Stupid question...
Is all of this plumbed in-line? That would make things easier for you in terms of water quality and conditions...but I dont see (or you havent mentioned) anything about a QT system or a separation of systems for disease outbreak. I mention this because a friend of mine here in St Louis has a nice set up and keeps three seperate coral farming systems going. The two main ones are what he uses for farming purposes, just trading off between the two as far as harvesting from, (He grows SPS frags primarily). The other he uses as a "bank" in case he ends up with a parasite, or one or both of his main systems crash, he doesnt lose all of his parent colonies also...

Just a thought. Everything looks well thought out, and I too second the motion for the 210 as the Angel tank....

Nick

Stupid question...
Is all of this plumbed in-line? That would make things easier for you in terms of water quality and conditions...but I dont see (or you havent mentioned) anything about a QT system or a separation of systems for disease outbreak. I mention this because a friend of mine here in St Louis has a nice set up and keeps three seperate coral farming systems going. The two main ones are what he uses for farming purposes, just trading off between the two as far as harvesting from, (He grows SPS frags primarily). The other he uses as a "bank" in case he ends up with a parasite, or one or both of his main systems crash, he doesnt lose all of his parent colonies also...

Just a thought. Everything looks well thought out, and I too second the motion for the 210 as the Angel tank....

Nick

I was originally thinking about having the option to by-pass one of the 40 breeders but I figured in the end all the extra plumbing and such wouldn't really benefit much because there could be a risk re-attaching the 40b back onto the system and it would probably just be more of a hassle. The plan is to have a 55 gallon along the back wall as a quarantine. My Dad read your post and said we could detach the 75g and running it as its own system but that might cut into the RO/DI area too much, we'll see.

Also we're set on making the 210 the angel tank, it gives them more room to swim and the 125g's are easier to reach for playing with corals.

Last edited:
Back