Mrs Wages

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

There is really no science to it. The more you add, the less often you will need to dump it out and replace the pickling lime. If you only add a few tablespoons, then it will only last a limited amount of time.

That being said, you should avoid adding the sediment that settles out into the tank.

The next natural question is when has the pickling lime served its purpose, with most of the calcium and alk extracted and all that is left is sediment and filler? It is hard to tell, but I change mine when the white powder becomes more of a grey color. It still has an elevated pH, but seems to be "used up" at that point.

I do not test the liquid for calcium or alkalinity, but that would be a way to do it also.

Mat

Lets say you add a half cup to a gallon of ro/di. Do you drip the full gallon over a nite, then do you just add more water for the next nite?

Let me get this right. I mix up a gallon with a couple teaspoons, I drip it over night. The next day I just add more water and shake, let it settle and drip again until the white crud on the bottom is almost gone?

That is correct. Make sure your tank is large enough to hangle that much Kalk or it could boost your PH too high. If that is the case, just drip at a slower rate. Put some pinch clamp on the feed line.

My ph tends to run low, 7.9 on the average. would like it higher. I have been rinsing the crud out each time. Looks like I will be saving on a bit of Mrs Wages.

I put sbout 1/2 a teaspoon in a gallon of RO/DI then shake the dog snot out of it and pour it into my sump/fuge. Works great and I have never had a problem. The reason you get sediment is because the water becomes saturated and cannot hold any more causeing the rest to settle out. If you add the mix to a sump or fuge you do not have to worry about any sediment getting on your corals. Really the only time sediment will be a worry is if you have very little flow in your system and it has a chance to deposit on coral tissue. Like I said, I just mix it and pour it into my sump and never have any trouble. My corals are growing like crazy and are very healthy, and my urchin has trippled in size since adding it to the system a little over a month ago.

Disclaimer: This method is my method and because it works for me, does not mean it will work for everyone. I am merely adding my experience with Mrs Wages as requested. Hope this helps :)

I have friends that have sps corals die due to accidentally getting lime sediment directly on them. Slow drip works best in all but large tanks. The large addition all at once can spike the PH in some small systems.

When you drip in Kalk, mixed 1-2 teaspoons to a gallon of ro/di, how long should it take to drip the gallon?

I have friends that have sps corals die due to accidentally getting lime sediment directly on them.

That is why I said I add it to my fuge and no sediment gets into the display. I also said it was just my process and it may not work for everyone :)

If you slow drip it in you can have it drip at 2-5 drops per second with no problem to your system. I have seen many experts in the field do far faster drips and have great success.

Back