much needed info.

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

fishdude

Hi could anyone please let me know what would be the max number of fish I could put in a 4 foot tank I am interested in a having a yellow tang a purple surgeon an emporer angelfish a flame angelfish and a copperband is this way too many?

Tank size

The Tank is 4 foot (4x2x2) also not 100% on the fish I can't help wanting a zebra eel and a lionfish and I know having all would probably be out of the question with this size tank also are all these fish compatible with reefs and each other? from what I have read some are but not sure about all

well, with the exception of the flame angel those fish are all likely to outgrow that aquarium. the general rule that is applied is one gallon per inch of fish. when you are thinking about this, you have to consider the max adult size that is expected for each fish; not necessarily the size that they are now. i think that i had read somewhere that marine fish in the home aquarium typically get about 3/4 to 7/8 their max size in the wild.
hope this helps

Another must have book is the, "The Conscientious Marine Aquarist: By Robert Fenner." That will answer many of your questions also!

fishdude,
A 120 is a little on the small side for the list you have. The Emperor angel will be cramped in there, and the two tangs are from the same family and will fight in a tank that size. You could do the CBB, the eel, the flame, and one of the tangs.

Jiddy's suggestion on the book is a good one.

Check that book out from the library or buy it on amazon. Definately a good buy.

Nick

Back