Multichip LED build questions

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

joelbegt

Hello everybody I stumbled on this forum looking for some information on my possible large multichip led build so I decided to join.

I do understand that the smaller chip leds have a quite a bit more LM/watt and I dont want this to become a multichip vs 3w debate.

I currently am looking to light a standard 125g (72x18x22) using only 10+ watt multichips. Hopefully in the next year or so we plan to upgrade to a 320g (96x30x24) so this needs to be easily expandable. I have found Ecoxotic's 50w Cannon to not be quite blue enough for my taste with no real cheap and clean looking way to add blue. I do like how the Cannon has more of a point source lighting look to it and no real spotlighting like some of the DIY arrays I have seen.

So now to the questions.
-What multichip combo of colors should I select to get a nice 15000k look that still has a nice full spectrum?
-Is it possible to use a single large driver or say computer power supply to run all or most of the multichips? I believe someone was mentioning this in another thread but I am not very computer electronic savy.
-What optics should I run if I want to have that 30" spead when we upgrade? 90's?
-Are there any suppliers of multichip leds other than ebay?

I work at a CNC machine shop so fabbing up a clean looking fixture should not be an issue. Idealy I would like to build 4 separate heatsinks and just use 3 until we upgrade.

Thanks in advance!

Hey Joel, a BIG :welcome: aboard Reef Frontiers I'm sure you'll have fun with this site. Sooooo much ever-changing info on LED's now makes it hard to actually pull the trigger and purchase something in fear of a new and even better one moments after you receive yours. There is some really nice 10, 20 and 50watt chips out there now and if not for my East-to-West theme of my build would probably have went that route. For my 125g 60x24x20 could have gone with three pendant style fixtures using high watt 8-10K white LED's surrounded by a mix of 3-5w blues/royal blues plus a red and green thrown in for good measure. E-Bay and Craigslist always has some pretty cool looking pendants for cheap and would be a somewhat easy retrofit using CPU hardrive fans w/heatsinks. Anyhow, keep us posted as to what you end up doing.

Cheers, Todd

15217d11.jpg

This is the build that I am working on right now. It is

1x 100w multi chip
12x 3w royal blues
6x. 3w Neutral white
1x 3w osram hyper-red

So we will see. I know that there are alot of changes in this area and the multi chips are not as efficient as the Cree but figured I would see what happens.

Looks very interesting.

With my personal tanks, I'm very picky when it comes to spectrum as there is a huge difference between different Cree XP Royal Blue and Cool Whites.

Could you provide more info on the 100w multichip.

Thanks

Bill

The 100w is Epiled multi chip. From what the data sheet said.

Details
High Power Mulit-Chip 100W LED Chips
Size: 5.2 x5.6 x0.45cm ( L x W x T )
Weight:120g
Material: High quality aluminum alloy material
Voltage: DC/AC: 30~35V / Power: 100W
Angle:140
Forward Current (IF): 3600 ma
Lumen:7000~8000Lm (approx )

Sorry for hijacking the thread. But to answer your question there are quite a few places to buy multis online. Just google multi chip LEDs .

Thanks for the replys! What color temp is that 100w chip? And what optics? You are not off topic at all.

I like the idea of using some 3W LED in there to "Cool" the whites down a bit on the Multi-Chip. I like the idea of adding red and green but my next build I'm going to incorporate at least a couple of Purple LED into the array in addition to the Red and Green. I'm thinking of doing this as a "Stand Alone" strip so I can turn it off/on as needed for pure "Aesthetics". I'm currently working to get one installed in the "Access Hatch" of my NanoCube just to make the coral "Fluoresce" .

I knew this thread would drag you out of the woodworks Floyd, thanks for your input and also waiting to that Bad Boy lit up.

Joel, how is all this for info to chew on ???

Cheers, Todd

This is all helpful so far. I may try to get some smaller 10-20w chips and a CPU power supply and see what I can do on a small scale first. I don't understand what I am looking for in a CPU power supply to run say 10-10w chips rated to 12v at 1000ma max? Thanks for all the input.

You could use this

TRC-120S105DT 90-305 VAC 68-114 VDC 1050 mA 120W Click Here (01-31-11)

This would allow you to wire the ten 10w in series.

Do a google search for them.

So something to talk about. The 10w is around 70lumens per watt, and the 3w cree's are rated for a little over lumens per watt depending on which ones you get. There for this is where the argument that multi chips efficacy is not any where close to a higher watt multi chip led.

Any updates? Would love to help you out. I would like to say that I have tested the 10w's and depending on the depth of your tank, it did not have enough penetration umph for my 24" deep tank. So this is something that you would also need to think about.

What size is your tank that you are trying to light.

Never mind I read the thread again. So 10x10w would be sufficient for a fish only tank. Not suitable for corals. Unless non photosynthetic corals are what you are planning to put in there. In my opinion you would have to have a lot more to lit that tank for a reef.

Hmm.... I may end up doing something like the project you posted pics of rather than the 10w's. I would probably do 2x50w 6500-7500k on either end of the heatsink and supplement with 3w blues around each 50w. This is over mostly SPS. If I did 2x50w's spread on either end of the heatsink I could get the spread for 24L"x30D"x26H" sections when we upgrade. I know 50's are enough for SPS because i have used the cannons which are in the less powerful 12k range. I mentioned 10w's because I found some blue or white for $1 each.

How many blues (and what wattage) would I need to overcome the yellow 50w's and make it look 14-15k?

If you go with the 50w LEDs you could get away with 2x20w blues for supplemental. So the ecoexotics do use the 50w but remember the drivers are the most important thing.

Back