multiple panes of glass?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

inkmates

I've been considering building a custom tank but am having trouble finding thick glass locally. I was thinking of trying to sandwich two panes of thinner glass together. Has any one else tried this or is this a terriable idea? Oh and on a side note does anyone know where I can find a small (5 watt) heater for my son's micro tank (its a one gallon). I noticed the past couple of nights that the tanks temp has been dipping down to about 70 after the lights shut off. Any thoughts would be appriciated. Thanks in advance.

I wouldn't trust a tank full of water with small panes even If you adhered them like a windshield, JMO I never heard of anyone doing it that way though. You should be able to get a small heater at pet-co, Pets-mart etc, cheap!

Check Reef Central under the Large Tanks forum.
It is quite common to laminate glass for larger systems, and is frequently more cost effective for the producer than a monolithic pour.
I would HIGHLY suggest you not attampt the lamination yourself! Viewing anomolies will make you regret it. Find a glass supply company and give them your dimensions. Ask for prices on laminated vs. not.

Good luck, and have fun!
D

you might also end up having the two pieces of glass rub together, creating scratches, due to water movement in the tank. It wouldn't be much, but might just be enough to make little scratches.

Back