Mushrooms dying

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

the reef master test kit by API isn't a bad deal. i believe we picked it up for 30 bux and it's lasted us a while. it's not the best, but it'll at least give you an idea what all your params are at.

also, mushrooms are quite toxic. they can easily burn other coral they come in contact with so i'm a little worried what deteriorating mushrooms will do to a new tank. if they are melting i'd yank them out and wait until the tank is fully cycled before adding more livestock to the tank.

sometimes xenias are hard to keep especially pom poms...i know someone has a bunch of poms poms thriving and with just no reason they start withering away...
for me they are a bit finicky...IMO they can tell if something is wrong in my water,they dont pulse...and once i do a bit water change then they start to pulse though sometimes if i do a big water change and water gets too clean they stop pulsing too,thats why i just do little bit of water change when i feel like i need to...i have pom poms,silver tip and blue xenia...all are pulsing...

i agree with mercedes,once mushrooms starts having that brown mucus thing,shrinks and started to melt take it out they are contagious or will contaminate the tank....i had one that got stung by my brain,half of the shroom seems fine so i rinse the goo and brown mucus stuff and put it back in my tank,its just a regular red mushroom...and then next thing that happened 4 of my red ricordea yuma starts shrinking and acting weird and melted,2 of my bubble mushrooms did the same because i leave everything in the tank hoping they will recover like xenias....if it melts and leave a flesh it will grow back....now i learned that if i have mushroom that is not doing good take it out in your main tank you cannot stop it once they start to melt....

thats why you should have a quarantine tank too..:)

Back