My 1 gallon pico experiment...

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

HumblePie

Pico Ninja
So I can't take credit for the idea but I thought is was pretty cool so I decided to give it a try. I've been posting my updates to a blog so that folks could follow along.

I should have more pics uploaded later today.

http://picoxp.blogspot.com

While i totally don't understand pico's of this nature other than the need to see if one can. Good luck with your project, it looks like you are moving right along.

While i totally don't understand pico's of this nature other than the need to see if one can. Good luck with your project, it looks like you are moving right along.

Thanks MGDMIRAGE.

To give a little background, my longstanding 29g recently had a significant setback. Someone in the household (assuming children) turned off my circuit housing the controller, chiller, and heater. When I first noticed the decline in the tank the parameters were so far out of whack that I had to spend the better part of a week getting everything back under control. Unfortunatley, the die off continues and just recently I found a very large set of cracks in the acrylic. There is more to the story but these are couple of the main issues.

As a result I have decided to retire the 29g and sell off some of the equipment. However, I am not ready to do the same with all the corals, etc. Since I will no longer have the stand/space for the tank, I have to go to a smaller size for weight and footprint reasons. While the vase is not my ideal candidate, I did have a lot of what I needed to get started without breaking the bank.

With that said, there are significant challenges in getting everything to fit "behind" the vase. If I can't engineer an inline chiller that will do so from an old IceProbe, then the vase experiment will be out the door and I will have to look at spending a lot more money to get a JBJ, BioCube, etc. 3-6g tank and all the necessary plumbing/pumps, etc to mod it.

The 3 gallon picotope is awesome! tons of cool ones on Nano-reef.com. Especially El Fabuloso, if you need an example hehe I still want one because of his.

I went ahead and posted quite a bit more information about this crazy pico reef experiment. I am currently building out the hood and should be done once I receive a new fan and some thermal adhesive...

i enjoyed looking at your 4 gallon build. i also would be interested in seeing the even smaller attempt. sorry to hear about your 29 gal

Back