My 100 Gallon Baby!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

NW Fish Dude

RF Premium Member
For Christmas, my incredible wife gave me two Ecotech Radion xr30 LED lights. To say the least, I was totally stoked! However, I quickly wondered how the heck was I going to mount these beauties on my "all in one" Red Sea Max 250 (65 g) system? It has an enclosed hood with T5 lights. Every option I came up with just didn't work/look right. So of course it dawned on me - If my wife was willing to invest in these awesome lights, then I of course would just have to invest in a completely new tank set up to feature them! Makes sense, right?!

We wanted to place the new setup in the same spot in the living room as the Red Sea Max, which left us with a foot print that could'nt really exceed about 4'x2'. We also wanted something that had a very contemporary look to fit in well with the rest of the room and house, and could be a beautiful feature as well. With this in mind we settled in on a rimless tank, as we loved the open, clean look, and thought it would best fit the new Radions as well.

So after much homework, I was able to have Don Wacker with Don Wacker Woodworking in Tacoma build us a contemporary wood stand built from birch with a dark espresso stain, that would allow the the rimless tank to sit an inch down inside to help hide the bottom silicone seam/seal. We made sure we had plenty of room underneath for a 40 gallon sump/fuge.

Rob at Red C Aquariums is only about 10 minutes from my house, and he's been a great resource over the last year or so as I've tried to learn how to run a reef system. When I came to him with questions about building this new system, it became apparent right away that Rob is truly one of the really good guys in the local reef/fish/aquarium world. He took a ton of time with me on multiple visits to answer my many questions about glass, overflows, pumps, sumps, and all sorts of equipment. When he let me know that he was working with a local glass guy, I had complete confidence that the tank he could (and would) have delivered for me would be excellent. I was not disappointed! We ordered up a custom 1/2" starphire glass (on the three non painted sides) tank that was 48"x24"x20". Rob then drilled and painted the tank as well as worked with the glass person to build the overflow. He also built my sump/refugium when I brought him a 40 g breeder I picked up from Petco during their most recent 1$/gallon sale. The result of all of it was beautiful!

Here are some of the pictures from the initial tank and stand construction:

photo 12.JPG
After inital build of frame.

photo 11.JPG
One door on!

photo 2.jpg
Espresso stain and before handles

photo 3.jpg
Tank drilled and back painted black

IMAG1093.jpg

Very nice and clean stand and we saw this tank sitting at Rob's shop. The pics don't do it justice at all. It was beautiful. Can't wait to see more with the stand and tank married. Congrats on the upgrade.

Thanks. I'm going to put up some more pics here soon. Hopefully this evening. Just trying to figure out why they are coming up as links instead of photos. And yes, the pics do not do the tank or really even the stand justice. It's truly beautiful.

Looking great!! Nice craftsmanship!! Looking forward to this build. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

photo9-1.jpg
s
Early sump build with return pump chamber, refugium, and skimmer chamber with baffles.

photo7.jpg

And sump before placing into stand with heaters, and black outs to minimize algae growth in non fuge sections. Skimmer is an eshopps S-150 cone.

Looking sharp! What are your coral/fish plans? Good luck with your build.
Thanks! I'm transferring over mostly LPS, softies, and Zoas from my 65 g. I'll get some pics of them up soon i hope. Have a yellow and kole tangs, Midas Blenny, pair of snowflake clowns, pair of Banggai cardinal fish, firefish, and Watchman and red headed gobies. Planning on adding either leopard or ornate Hawaiian wrasse soon. Also have a couple colorful starfish, and a green BTA.

Not an easy feat in trying to have the new tank placed into the same spot as the old one. Placed all my corals in various buckets with a bit of the tank water, and then put my live rock that didn't have much attached into a couple 20 gallon Braun garbage cans with a bit of a tank water, and then fished out the inverts and fish and put them in a couple separate buckets. Then siphoned out the remaining water into another 20 gallon can. I previously had decided to not move the sand, as it seemed a major hassle and possibly causing more harm than good. We put live black sand in the new tank, thicker towards the outside of the tank to have the rocks sitting mostly on glass, to keep it easier to clean. After the water was emptied from the old tank, we moved it out of the way, and slid the new stand (with plumbed tank and sump now in place) with installed thick felt spacing pads on the bottom, which made it pretty easy to move around, into the spot of the old tank in the living room.

With time ticking, we then put the removed water from the old tank into the new tank, mixing in about an equal amount of new prepared salt water, and as the water level climbed, we started piling in the live rock. Essentially just made two separate stacks, deciding to leave the aquascaping to later. I just wanted to get everything back in. I kept checking on the corals, inverts, and fishes, and they all seemed to be doing ok in their buckets, as we continued to add water and live rock. Water level finally hit the overflow and I held my breath as it drained down into the sump, praying that my cemented plumbing connections were all good. And that went just fine! Then placed the corals, couple clams, rocks that had lots of zoas into the front of the tank, and on a small frag shelf.

And then my heart sank. As I was putting coral into the tank, my 13 year old son who was helping me, looked into one of the buckets with the fish, and said "Dad...how come the water in here is all milky?!!" I ran over, and two fish were already floating on top of the thick milky water. I was stunned. WTF?! I dumped the water, and netted out the only two surviving fish in that bucket...a red headed and watchman goby. Seven other fish were dead...And then I saw the culprit, a seacumber that I had also placed in the bucket. Not sure if it had died, or just decided to spew because of stress, but it had wiped out those fish in less than 15 minutes from the time that I had last peeked in on that bucket. I couldn't believe it.

Feeling even more pressured for time, I acclimated all the remaining livestock with the new hybrid tank water, and got everyone back into the new tank within about another 1/2 hr. Everything that wasn't in that bucket, did fine.

We then installed two new Vortech mp40's on either side of the tank and plugged the pumps, fuge light, heaters, and skimmer in and watched the tank come to life. I took a deep breath and plopped down onto the couch. Whew! That whole process took about 3-4 hours.

The last thing was to hang the Radion lights from the ceiling. I had already made a bracket that I painted black to hook the two lights together. After another couple hours, the LED's were suspended from the ceiling and this was the first photo I took of the cloudy tank:</SPAN>

photo5.jpg

Now that's a MUCH better picture. Nice work but sorry to hear about the losses.

Take that long loc-line out of the tank. With the two MP40s you really don't need those long pieces to direct flow. Shorten them way up and you'll have a much cleaner look. Also, do you have a siphon break on the return?

How about backing up a few steps and getting a pic that shows the tank and lights. Looks great!

Mike

yeah, what mcoomer said. What's up with jip'n us on a pic of how you hung those Radions? Pic or ban!! :lol:

yeah, what mcoomer said. What's up with jip'n us on a pic of how you hung those Radions? Pic or ban!! :lol:

Hahaha. You guys are tough!

Here's a pic from this morning with the water clear and some aquascaping done. When I get home this evening, I'll take a couple of the lights/mounts close up and from a bit further back. The hardest part in mounting them, was just making sure they were centered over the tank, as it's not the easiest thing to measure up on the ceiling, especially with the tank in place. :becky:

photo14.jpg

Back